Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whats your thought

Seems to me over the years that all collectible coins worthy of grading have been sent in. That leaves all the moderns for the grading services to fight over. I believe this is why the grading standards have changed over the years, I think gradeflation has about run its course and there will be some sort of new gimmick the grading company's will come up with. Maybe we will end up with an AU65 down the road and the cycle will restart.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more raw coins out there than coins in slabs...... Actually, according to one study I read (a couple years ago), there are more coins in the ground than in circulation.... I found that one hard to believe. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a lot of nice raw stuff out there. Humans are pretty amazing at rat holing stuff away.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way everything good has been sent in.

Lots of coins in the hands of well-off persons who don't actively care about them, it's simply a form of inter-generational wealth. Some of those coins are quite worthy of TPG. Lots of active collectors have nice coins that haven't been slabbed - either they don't like the slabbing concept or the slabbing price or the various risks of allowing the coin(s) to leave their own hands.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would not believe what "walks in to" a coin shop every so often. I expect at least another generation or two needs to die off before most of the stuff still off-market now comes out.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

People were proclaiming the downfall of "freshly" certified coins 10 years ago!

I think if everyone who reads these boards searched their "holdings", most would find a small cache....or large cache...of coins worthy of certifying. Maybe not 4 and 5 figure value coins....but a few nice pieces on a par with certified coins that get bought and sold every day.

Then there's the seemingly endless cycle of re-certs, upgrades, cross overs, variety designation requests, TruView requests, etc. Business is obviously still strong....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

To cite a recent example, I was at a long time friend/dealer's shop recently and a elderly lady walked in with a small leather purse which contained a proof 1907 $2-1/2 (slightly impaired.....scuffy...MIGHT 60/61 these days...? ) and also a proof 3cn. I can't remember the date on the three center. The rest of the coins in the purse were junk.
    It was an odd mixture of stuff....but she sold them.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 6:23PM

I have a friend with a large 7-8 figure superb collection all purchased in the 1970-90s completely raw.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

many coins remain ungraded, locked away in decades old collections. As these collections are inherited the heirs will most likely be advised to have graded. could take another 50 years or more to get them in the hands of a TPG.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 7:28PM

I have been collecting coins for 40-50 years and have many many coins that have never been to any TPG service let alone any bean factories. I always love hearing " That coin must have issues or it would have been sent in already"
    Well not always. I would bet there are a LOT of nice raw collections out there.
    Just as a quick example as I have this pic on this pc, here is a set of Frankie's I put together in the late 80's maybe a couple into the early 90's. Most of this set were coins purchased in PCGS, NGC and ANACS gem or better slabs. All freed and carefully put in this album. I am just showing 1 pic of 1 page.

Here are a few that did not make it into the album as they were dupes.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file