Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1968 D AU Lincoln Cent Large Date

Haven't seen much of this Lincoln penny around the web. Would appreciate any info on it. It is very detailed,letters seems to be in bold.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 1968, a new hub was used that had lower relief and gave Lincoln a smaller head. I like the design of 1968 and before a lot more than ones that came after.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical of cents for that period.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hey Ricko, let me ask you if this was typical cent for that period than why are these not the same. I have several MS68 grade that I believe to be error.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 4:34PM

@Vin71

What did you do to get "ANSWERED" to appear to you original post? Thanks.

PS I'm an old guy who has trouble with computers so please keep the answer simple. THANKS! :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

By 1968 the master hub was worn out, and it was going to be replaced in 1969.
    Most 1968 coins from all three mints have loss of detail and lettering elements blending into the rim.
    Your coin is an exception to that and shows the lettering fairly well struck for this date.
    My educated guess is that up to 75-80% of these coins have the motto bleeding into the rim.
    Your coin may rank in the top 5% strike-wise, but when you consider that very few collectors desire these by strike characteristics, there would be little or no premium attached....especially since your coin pictured has the beginning of corrosion.

• Options

Instead of discussion,asked question..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file