Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Digital Scales on ebay ... which one to buy?

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need a new .01g digital scale for error coins and for weighing gold I found prospecting.

There are a million different ones with a race to the bottom on pricing. Many shipped from China. The ones shipped from here where probably made in China anyway.

Not concerned about the price as I do want quality. I do not want to pay more for the sake of paying more tho.

Any ideas or are they all basically the same?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same problem about 5 years ago - I bet there are more options now.

I ultimately went with an OHaus scale even though it was also made in China. At least it was a brand name I knew.

Don't forget to buy calibration weights to ensure the scale is reading correctly. These are also inexpensive on the 'bay.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will just recommend quality... get a good one.... price is secondary. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two very serviceable electronic scales that only go to the nearest 0.1 grams.

Is there a strong reason that I should get a 0.01 gram electronic scale?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one that is cheap, but has a cover to protect when traveling to and from the diggings. I have a one ounce and a 100gram weights that I take with. Can be used for coins or small nuggets:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/100g-x-0-01g-Professional-Digital-Weigh-Scale-Pocket-Pocket-Scale-WN-01-/322790471121?hash=item4b27cfb5d1:g:W1MAAOSwHqRZzPMn

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

MIne also only goes to .1
    I guess I should invest in a more accurate one eventually.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2017 4:05PM

I'm wondering if there is a good argument for the finer precision.

Also, if I throw a new-ish clad Quarter dollar on the scale and it weighs in at 5.7 grams, ain't that just as good as calibrating the thing with a purchased weight?

P.S. That 51 gram nugget don't suck.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2017 6:51PM

Digital scales should be self-calibrating. Accuracy to 0.001 is best, then round multiple measurements to 0.01 for the final value. Look for a "tare" function. Also, don;t weigh directly on the scale platform - always use a paper intermediary and 'tare' the platform + paper. Basically--- learn how to use a digital scale correctly.

You can be confident of better quality if you buy from a US scientific supply company. Doesn't matter where the device is made, only that it operates properly over a long period of time.

• Options

I didn't realize how inexpensive the 0.01 gram electronic scales are.

I will buy one ASAP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file