Home Metal Detecting
Options

Took the Garrett AT Pro to the river ...and got some silver and other items today!

I have had my Garrett AT Pro for two years now and have never taken the plunge into water with it. Started out to do that today, but I don't have the underwater headphones and didn't have a plug to go into the headphone outlet on machine- I thought there was one, maybe wrong or I lost it. I've got to check on that- if there's there's a plug when not using headphones in the water -anyone know? So I couldn't bring myself to take the plunge despite the unusual 80 degree weather today in upstate NY, even the river water was very warm. I donned my new life vest, lengthened the shaft on the machine and headed out with my new scoop too. Went to a favorite spot of mine nearby, started out with a rusted decorative old padlock on first scoop, looks to have been in the water for a long time (something I could have pulled up magnet fishing, just looked like an old rock on river bottom).
One thing I quickly found out is that it takes a lot more effort to swing the big coil underwater, armed got tired quickly, especially since I haven't detected in a while. Next signal and scoop yielded part of a fishing reel, a jig head and even a pull tab . The area was real rocky so it made scooping things hard in water hip high so I moved closer to shore, the water levels are finally down after a long rain filled summer so I was still hitting new territory out from shore. I was surprised when I scooped up an old local bottle , had a strong signal from around where it was but it was in a deeper pocket between some rocks and I couldn't get scoop in- would have needed some swim goggles to go under and see what was in there and try to get it out, maybe next year. Things slowed down and only found a couple of coins, thought the one that was heavily encrusted might be an Indian, but it turned out to be a 1946. The other turned out to be a clad dime.
Decided to move to a less rocky and shallower part of the river bank and had a little better luck. Started out with a more recent Canadian penny, then got some mixed but strong signals and out popped silver! And it might just beat my oldest silver ever, except date is worn off, but it looks to be an early Canadian young Victoria dime for sure. (my oldest silver was either an 1897 or 1899 barber dime - can't remember). And to top it off it was lying with a 1917 US penny- must have been why the penny was in so nice a condition- had my fingers crossed that it might be the double die but no such luck. Just a little bit away found a token- it looked like maybe a second silver at first, but no such luck. Its says "centre quills" and that's it. I was pretty much worn out by this time and getting water logged so I ended it there. Maybe go back next year as we have a big cool down coming tomorrow. Happy Hunting!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an AT Pro last year with the thought I'd hunt the local rivers with it. Instead, I sold the machine, then bought another one this year and sold it, never did get in the river.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice mixture of coins and stuff... typical of river hunting... I wonder what that was between the two rocks... that would keep me up nights....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good read and it sounds like fun......except the tired arm!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevinstang
    Always good to don a life vest when water detecting :smile:
    Congrats on your river/water finds and thanks for sharing here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1917 Lincoln is a find in itself :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the silver! Always a treat to get out detecting