Home U.S. Coin Forum

I had a thought about members...

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, while fun, and in most cases meaningful, it is a shame that many of the really important, experienced and knowledgeable members cannot be singled out as soon as they join before we figure out by their posts how lucky we are to have them posting. Every one here started with one * (I think) and one post. Look at where many of them are now. Yeah, yeah, no one but me cares about the ratings - so what.

Stupid example: Let's a say David Hall, JD, or JA (even WW, ICH, PF, or HC >:) LOL I got you!) were to join today; perhaps they could just get one gold star and keep it forever. That way we would sort of know who we were interacting with. So "Johnny-just-joined" an internationally known and published, successful dealer/collector for decades with only 2 posts and 4 points would be known right off for his expertise. There are also many 3, 4, and 5 * members who I should give a gold star to immediately. The mods could even give members like @ricko one gray star rather than 5 black ones to signify his value to the forum. :)

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a coin Rorschach test could be instituted.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many a day I've been on here and wished that David Hall or the graders would come on here and post. Unfortunately they don't.

Later, Paul.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    Many a day I've been on here and wished that David Hall or the graders would come on here and post. Unfortunately they don't.

Isn't his handle "Homerun Hall?"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

Someone posted that Rick Montgomery was posting here when he worked for PCGS.

Look, I understand the frustration it can be for a person like David Hall to deal with the public and comment about his business practices or grading. Similarly, we have all read what Fred "the error guy" goes thru dealing with people. Nevertheless, if I were an important TPGS officer/grader, it would be great fun to join a form as "Dave the cable guy" and help folks out. I was surprised to read that JA will take the time to explain his actions. That's a good business practice as an informed collector can be a great customer. I've heard of four TPGS (two are out of business. LOL Guess the notes didn't help.) that regularly sent coins back with notes on the coins.

Anyway, I'll bet there are powers to be lurking around here in addition to the Mods. :)

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

I have all sorts of posts but I don't really know anything. One cannot be too careful around here.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't know that (insert super-influential numismatist's name here) doesn't post on here. Maybe they do but don't want people to know who they are.

Collector, occasional seller

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Hall used to post here all the time, then DW took over and it was a blood bath.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Stooge said:

Isn't his handle "Homerun Hall?"

You are very correct @DCW as I meant that I would love to see him post more than telling us new products or new rules as he had done in the past. Very seldom if ever did he just post to "Get in on the conversation"
    I believe if you are going to be commander and chief it would be nice to get his take on some subjects. Wouldn't it be awesome to have him or some graders guess the grade on some coins, or explain why this coin is this way or that way.

Later, Paul.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Interesting concept ...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• If I was a big cheese I think I would go incognito.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure we have had some famous people come and go here. It's good they can do that.

Larry

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭

I think we need a "litmus test" ! ;)

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2017 9:14PM

I've got major street cred on pre-1838 proof silver and gold, but you'd be a fool to take my word on high-end color for circulation small cents.

Rhetorically, how would this be signified under "grading"?

Three months of consistent lurking and anyone who wants to listen and learn in depth in a specific area will figure out who's who and what's what.

Don't be naïve. What possible upside can any TPG have in allowing a grader to offer individual public grading opinions when all published grades are determined by consensus?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think everyone that read this thread and did not hit disagree/flag is a valuable member here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited September 26, 2017 3:39PM

@ChrisH821 said: "We don't know that (insert super-influential numismatist's name here) doesn't post on here. Maybe they do but don't want people to know who they are."

But we do know as many use their actual names. What I'd like to see is an unknown new member who we don't know - "@Mr.Redbook" for example who joins with one post, no badges, 2 points, etc. be given a permanent gold star and no black ones because of who he is, what he has done for numismatics, and his depth of knowledge that he is going to share. As I said, just a start.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just never know "who" may be lurking and posting on this forum.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8
    You just never know who you may be conversing with here :smile:
    I believe that the quasi anonymity is a good thing, we just need to use caution and due diligence with personal info and transactions : :smile:
    Just my opinion :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Yep, you just don't but some of you may be dropping hints...LOL.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file