Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Collector, St. Paul Monthly Show Report

Hello everyone! I am a pseudo new collector. For the past ~15 years I've been a casual searcher of change and would occasionally go to the bank and get rolls of circulated coins to search through. I've recently become more interested in numismatics in general and have decided that an AU/MS PCGS Dansco 7070 Type Set would be a great way to explore/learn about a variety of coins. A few pieces I may need to dip below the AU category because of cost, but I'm sure I can still find some attractive pieces in the VF/XF range for the few pieces that fall outside of my budget.

St. Paul Minnesota has a monthly show and I was extremely excited to find this (in my mind) perfect Barber Quarter. I've been going to the small shows semi frequently and am quite excited for the upcoming MOON Show in Minnesota. My #1 goal there is to find an AU Barber Half with a lot of eye appeal. A little bit of toning would be a plus but not necessary.

And below is my Barber Quarter that I just picked up. I'm really excited about this piece. I also picked up a MS-62 Barber Dime because the price was right, but I didn't have the same excitement from the purchase that I got from the Quarter.

Thanks all! I look forward to being a more active member.

Comments

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, the quarter looks nice.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been to both of the shows you mentioned in the past and had a great time. There are some great dealers who go to the shows in the Twin Cities and many of them post on the forum infrequently.

Welcome to the forum. Nice coin.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard! Take your time and don't rush getting coins for your Dansco album.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do yourself a favor, don't buy common date coins in MS60, 61, or 62 regardless of price.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great first post. Welcome to the community and nice quarter!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the jungle and nice Barber!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MathandBikes... Welcome aboard... Nice coin and good luck at the show. Please post a report about the show... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks all for the welcome! @skier07, could you elaborate a little further please?

@skier07 said:
    Do yourself a favor, don't buy common date coins in MS60, 61, or 62 regardless of price.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58's and MS63 and higher coins typically have better eye appeal. Most coins graded MS60,61, or 62 have something going on. The price difference between 62 and 63 for most common coins is minimal.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, be sure to use the search function for threads about all kinds of topics, including filling a dansco 7070.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file