Home U.S. Coin Forum

$25 FS quarter bags

I'm cleaning out a lot of my useless stuff. Oh look. The Fifty State Quarter items fall under this category. :) (I did do a search, and all the threads here seem to be from about 10 years ago...)

I came across a bunch of 50SQ $25 bags. Some of the early ones are worth more than face, but looking at results on Ebay, it looks like I'd be better off dumping them into a Coinstar.

Am I missing something here? :)

Secondary question. Have any of the significant FSQ errors been found in one of these bags? For instance, I have a couple of Wisconsin bags, and want to know if I should be doing more than a cursory search...

Comments

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

    Interest fell off a cliff once the series ended.

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1) There are some folks on here that will pay you over face and you can make a few bucks, per bag, after postage. I think it was MsMorrisine who was, at one point, buying these. May want to check.
    2) Otherwise, yes, take the loss from what you paid and just bank 'em
    3) Yes, errors have been found, a LONG time ago, but no, not the Wisconsin leaf errors.

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CoinCrazyPA said:
    Interest fell off a cliff once the series ended.

    Actually, I think they fell off the cliff loooooong before the series ended. :)

    They actually still sell a few thousand bags of the P/D/S ATB quarters, so someone is buying. I'm not sure why, but I don't know who they are...

    @Bochiman said:
    1) There are some folks on here that will pay you over face and you can make a few bucks, per bag, after postage. I think it was MsMorrisine who was, at one point, buying these. May want to check.
    2) Otherwise, yes, take the loss from what you paid and just bank 'em

    And we have a winner! ;)

    3) Yes, errors have been found, a LONG time ago, but no, not the Wisconsin leaf errors.

    Shucks. Thanks, anyway.

    I'll do a bag search (as opposed to a roll search) on each one looking for die cracks and other anomalies, but just wanted to know if I should take a closer look at some states.

    I bought a bunch of these 'cause I think it was a neat idea (still do), but need to downsize, and these are taking up a couple of cubic feet and can be easily cashed in, so they're high on the list of things to go. I saw a lot of completed auctions for $50-60 for $50 in face, and couldn't figure out why anyone would bother after fees, postage, packaging, etc. I'm keeping a couple of pairs of bags of my favorite states, selling the ones that still hold a premium, but the rest have got to go!

    So I'll have a two or three thousand quarters to look through. Should keep me off the streets at night for a couple of weeks... :D

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2017 8:09AM

    @BackroadJunkie said:

    @CoinCrazyPA said:
    Interest fell off a cliff once the series ended.

    Actually, I think they fell off the cliff loooooong before the series ended. :)

    They actually still sell a few thousand bags of the P/D/S ATB quarters, so someone is buying. I'm not sure why, but I don't know who they are...

    @Bochiman said:
    1) There are some folks on here that will pay you over face and you can make a few bucks, per bag, after postage. I think it was MsMorrisine who was, at one point, buying these. May want to check.
    2) Otherwise, yes, take the loss from what you paid and just bank 'em

    And we have a winner! ;)

    3) Yes, errors have been found, a LONG time ago, but no, not the Wisconsin leaf errors.

    Shucks. Thanks, anyway.

    I'll do a bag search (as opposed to a roll search) on each one looking for die cracks and other anomalies, but just wanted to know if I should take a closer look at some states.

    I bought a bunch of these 'cause I think it was a neat idea (still do), but need to downsize, and these are taking up a couple of cubic feet and can be easily cas. Actually, I think they fell off the cliff loooooong before the series ended.

    Why ask?

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I plan to just cash in the ones I have. Not worth the time trying to sell them on ebay.

    Larry

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have not followed the SHQ series closely, so really do not know much about anomalies other than the extra leaf quarters and I think it was Louisiana ... something odd there. See, even that one does not readily come to mind... so, unless someone is searching for a specific, not likely much market value over face. Cheers, RickO

  • I'd be interested in some of the 2009+ quarters if you have any of those - DC, USVI, Mariana and some of the ATB quaters.

  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CoinCrazyPA said:

    @BackroadJunkie said:

    @CoinCrazyPA said:
    Interest fell off a cliff once the series ended.

    Actually, I think they fell off the cliff loooooong before the series ended. :)

    They actually still sell a few thousand bags of the P/D/S ATB quarters, so someone is buying. I'm not sure why, but I don't know who they are...

    @Bochiman said:
    1) There are some folks on here that will pay you over face and you can make a few bucks, per bag, after postage. I think it was MsMorrisine who was, at one point, buying these. May want to check.
    2) Otherwise, yes, take the loss from what you paid and just bank 'em

    And we have a winner! ;)

    3) Yes, errors have been found, a LONG time ago, but no, not the Wisconsin leaf errors.

    Shucks. Thanks, anyway.

    I'll do a bag search (as opposed to a roll search) on each one looking for die cracks and other anomalies, but just wanted to know if I should take a closer look at some states.

    I bought a bunch of these 'cause I think it was a neat idea (still do), but need to downsize, and these are taking up a couple of cubic feet and can be easily cas. Actually, I think they fell off the cliff loooooong before the series ended.

    Why ask?

    Because the collective intelligence here is much greater than mine.

    I just wanted to make sure what I'm seeing aligns with reality.

    Sheesh.

  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thevolcanogod said:
    I'd be interested in some of the 2009+ quarters if you have any of those - DC, USVI, Mariana and some of the ATB quaters.

    Sent a PM...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file