Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953 Jefferson Nickel

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value: 5 cents. Extremely common, well worn and damaged.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Did Henning make any '53's?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

find these in change every once in awhile, nothing uncommon or rare

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well worn and damaged.... worth 5 cents.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I guess you could call it a Korean War Nickel, You should get a Whiteman Blue Coin Folder 1938 to 1963/4 and start filling it up, This Era of Jefferson Nickels is somewhat easy to complete with some patience, except for a few scarcer dates and mintmarks as well as the war nickels but not impossible.

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another:
    Was there a question?

spend it

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get $.04 at CoinStar with it. Or for $5.99, a Whitman folder.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

A book on coin values and coin collecting can be obtained cheaply at the bookstore or on Amazon. That would be the best place to ask about these coins. You have to be willing to put a little bit of your own effort into this.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@irani said:

Looks fake to me.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@irani said:

Looks fake to me.

You took the words right outta my mouth. That thing looks like a total fake.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 9:50AM

@kevinstang said:
    Did Henning make any '53's?

That was my thought as well, and yes he did...

Why was no picture of the reverse, by the way? That is where the mint mark would be, and also possibly some hints that it might be a Henning counterfeit, in which case it might be worth a hundred dollars or more.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Why do you expect it to be fake and this is the opposite

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's genuine.

The surfaces have light 'environmental surface' problems,
    that's all......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

There was a man by the name of Henning who counterfeited nickels in the mid 1950s. He made five different dates, and 1953 was one of them. The chance of finding one is very, very small, but they do show up. 1953 is one of the rarer dates so if this were a Henning counterfeit it would be worth some money ($100, $200, ?).

A few people (including me) thought your nickel looked a bit rough - not just worn, but roughly made. It might just be a situation where your pictures (which are very good) are picking up all the flaws on a worn coin.

Some (not all) of the Henning counterfeits have a flaw on the reverse, which yours does not have. The only other way to confirm is to weigh it. I do not know from memory what the weight is for a fake vs a real one, but the fakes are a bit overweight.

• Options

Ok thank you for participating but I do not collect his work to know how much I weighed several years ago and found them in the workplace

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

JbkWhat are the offer dates for Henning Nickels.

Thanks for the reply.

• Options

I see you found them on the other thread. Thx for that link by the way. I never tire of reading about them, and I always need to be reminded of what the other dates are.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file