Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there Aesthetic Variety in your collection?

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thought crossed my mind a few minutes ago as I placed an order for an MS-65 Buffalo nickel struck from a much abraded die. There are all kinds of “fun things” happening in the fields, if it matches up with the pictures. It appears very lustrous....It was just born of a late state die. It has been stuck in my head for the better part of 3 days, so I figured it’s best to just buy it, and move on. ;) (Pictures to follow when I receive it, and if I can wrangle the photographic skills required).

But, I got to thinking, “Wouldn’t a ‘normal’ collector avoid this coin? Shouldn’t I be seeking out the ‘perfect coin’ for the grade instead? One created with a die as close to perfection as possible?”

But I have plenty of evidence in my holdings that I rather enjoy a “variety of looks”. Some may be happy looking for the most perfect set of MS-70 SAE’s, or identical brown Lincoln cents, or matching strike whatever’s.

But I guess I just get a bigger thrill out of some form of aesthetic variety!

The history of US coinage, to me, is not filled with perfection. It’s filled with variety, and oddities, and mistakes, and corrections.

The life of a coin isn’t a life of perfection, either. They get stained, and toned, and worn, and abused. (Though, I do shy away from the abused. I’m not totally off my rocker.)

I have some “New Die” Buffalo’s, so I’m not cheating myself of that end of collecting. I have full head SLQ’s, and some that are pretty squashed. I have some Red Lincolns and Indian Heads, but I also went out of my way to find some MS RB and BN coins as well. My “short set” of Walkers tend to the bright and white....my early dates are F-XF, and gray, speckled, or dirty. I have Bust Halves in grades from Fine through AU-53. They don’t look like they belong in the same collection....but they each have a certain beauty to me.

Aesthetic Variety. Maybe I should change my tag line from “Easily Distracted Type Collector”, to “Aesthetic Variety Collector”? ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm going to collect a whole series, I like having examples of different die states and grades. You you really want a showcase a type, it seems reasonable to show it in its different forms.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfection is not all that it is cracked up to be :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Very scarce or rare varieties and die marriages often have unappealing looks.

Here's an exception...an aesthetically pleasing R5 O.122
    Lance.

I assume the "unappealing look" is the absence of denticles on the obverse? I'd say that may be the most appealing unappealing coin I've seen in awhile. ;)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I word that badly? I was trying to say that this coin is highly appealing, unlike most scarce/rare varieties.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Did I word that badly? I was trying to say that this coin is highly appealing, unlike most scarce/rare varieties.
    Lance.

My bad....I read your first line, and expected a "desirable coin due to rarity, but quite ugly by normal standards." Missed the "This is an exception" line.

But, we do agree it's VERY appealing. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally, I prefer aesthetically appealing coins... without ugly detractions. Honest wear is acceptable...even desirable on some coins. And crust... that works... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect a large series I think it adds to the interest factor to incorporate a lot of different looks. For my Morgan collection I have every grade from VF25 to MS67 with only AU50 missing. At least half of my MS coins are PL or DMPL, but many are toned, and some of my recent ones are frosty, as I decided I didn't have enough of those (and some dates are not readily available with PL surfaces).

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2017 12:43PM

The spectrum of my Type collection ranges from Blast White to rather dark. Each has it's own characteristics, and I am actually contemplating on a Seated Dollar that is gun metal blue/brown, dark and beautiful, I just can't handle the asking price right now.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite coins to look at...common date, common grade, but aesthetically pleasing to me:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file