Home Sports Talk

Ouch, Cowboys hammered and Dimeman silent!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one was uggggggggggly and all I hear is crickets.

Al H.

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, I noticed that. what's he's really doing is making excuses for an average Team that over-achieved last season. it highlights the difference between home and away for an average Team in the NFL. I think it also highlights how distractions such as the Elliot BS can affect individual and Team play. next week will be more telling, another game on the road against the Cardinals.

the bright spot for the Cowboys is that they can improve and turn into an above average Team, but I really don't think they'll do as well as last season.

7-9 would make me happy

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing to say except........If you play bad you lose. And we did. I don't think we over achieved last year at all.

But we certainly under achieved Sunday in Denver.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys in essence beat a bottom of the barrel NFL team last week. That's what the Giants are without OBJ. So I wouldn't exactly have been crowing about that win.

This week they played a much better team on the road (where it's incredibly difficult to win, mind you), and we received a much clearer indication of just how good the Cowboys are.

In my opinion, they look like a 9-7 squad. Their defense is average at best with very few (if any) real playmakers. When they face a team that can nullify their vaunted running game, they are in big trouble. Their D will never be able to save them, and neither will the air attack. No one on the receiving end of passes would scare me, and that includes their go-to guy (Bryant) who is a shell of himself.

If I had the personnel, I'd mirror the Broncos' blueprint when facing Dallas: make every attempt to shut the running game down. If even remotely successful, the probability of winning becomes very high.

Yep. Load the box with 7 or 8 and jam
    The WR's at line of scrimmage. The Cowboys don't have a vertical passing game or least they have not shown one and Whitten is a mere shell of his former self

mark

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are a 9-7 team as they are now. Get Romo back and they become a 12-4 team.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 4:08PM

@Brick said:

LOL...he's just a phone call away..

Has anyone heard him in the booth? I don't usually get the game of the week with two local teams, though I did get the Den-Dallas game due to Giants playing tonight and was wondering what the consensus was regarding his ability as an analyst compared to Simms?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Brick said:

LOL...he's just a phone call away..

Has anyone heard him in the booth? I don't usually get the game of the week with two local teams, though I did get the Den-Dallas game due to Giants playing tonight and was wondering what the consensus was regarding his ability as an analyst compared to Simms?

He had the Pats game yesterday with Nance and i thought he did pretty good. It was the first game i watched that he was covering.

@Brick said:

Don't make me puke....PLEASE!

@galaxy27 said:
    The Cowboys in essence beat a bottom of the barrel NFL team last week. That's what the Giants are without OBJ. So I wouldn't exactly have been crowing about that win.

This week they played a much better team on the road (where it's incredibly difficult to win, mind you), and we received a much clearer indication of just how good the Cowboys are.

In my opinion, they look like a 9-7 squad. Their defense is average at best with very few (if any) real playmakers. When they face a team that can nullify their vaunted running game, they are in big trouble. Their D will never be able to save them, and neither will the air attack. No one on the receiving end of passes would scare me, and that includes their go-to guy (Bryant) who is a shell of himself.

If I had the personnel, I'd mirror the Broncos' blueprint when facing Dallas: make every attempt to shut the running game down. If even remotely successful, the probability of winning becomes very high.

You are wrong about the receivers. And one is a rookie. We just had a bad game. And the Giants are not that bad.

I just love you guys.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo was a pleasant surprise in the booth. When it was brought up Boomer actually got pissy saying oh he was nothing special :D

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reviews on Romo have been exceptionally positive so far. I'm not quite that high on him.

Of more concern to Dallas should be Elliott giving up on an interception, just flat out quitting.

edited September 19, 2017 12:49AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@galaxy27 said:

You are wrong about the receivers. And one is a rookie. We just had a bad game. And the Giants are not that bad.

I just love you guys.

The Giants stink. Seriously, they really stink

mark

And the Giants are not that bad.

No, they're worse.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

we all need to cut/paste the dimesters posts so we can avoid the revisionist history lesson at seasons end.

I work up at 2:30am in Milan to watch the Lions- Giants game on my IPad through DISH. When I watched the game live I said to myself, " man the Giants really stink". Now that I have had more time to reflect and have had several cups of coffee I've come to realize that the Giants stink even more then I initially thought.

mark

but Mark, you don't understand. the Giants are really pretty good and the Cowboys are really, really, pretty good. :)

both will get better as the season progresses(unlike the Browns who probably looked as good as they are in the pre-season) but I don't expect to see either Team in the playoffs.

Again, I hope you guys are right about the Giants. I hate them more than any team in the NFL, but they always seem to manage to make it to the playoffs and then..........just ask the 2007 undefeated Patriots. ;)

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the NFL ticket this year for free...however, I'm beyond done with the NFL.

The Kapernick thing was at first just stupid to me, but, as it grew, the final straw for me was when I saw Marshawn Lynch sitting on a bench eating a banana while the National Anthem was being played. More sadly, his net worth is $30m, which he derived from football, otherwise, he'd not be in such a sweet financial position, and, I doubt be so callous and disrespectful to our flag and MOST OF ALL, to those who gave their lives so he and those of his ilk could enjoy the incredible luxuries of life that they undoubtedly have in this country. They can all leave this country and never come back...maybe play for the North Korean Rockets.

I don't care if Dallas wins every game 56-0, or goes the other way, nor any other team that has players that take a knee or give some silly power salute. I will not be a party to supporting such nonsense. I don't really want to get too deeply into my memory bank and see faces of friends no longer here that I served with to make my point, it's really just very, very personal.

If you haven't been, when in D.C. go check out the Vietnam War Memorial near the Lincoln Memorial...58,000+, all great people who went way too young serving their country, a staggering sight when viewed a bit in the distance.

Nuff said.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Reviews on Romo have been exceptionally positive so far. I'm not quite that high on him.

Typical

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

I've watched him both weeks. It's going to take a little time for me to get used to his voice, and even his boyish excitement at times, but there's no questioning his smarts. He has literally been predicting plays left and right before they happen.

No doubt he made the right decision to leave his playing days behind and become a color analyst. It won't be long before people forget whose job he took.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I think he's been solid and on point. My expectations were pretty low and thus far he's exceeding them.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

If you haven't been, when in D.C. go check out the Vietnam War Memorial near the Lincoln Memorial...58,000+, all great people who went way too young serving their country

I have seen the traveling wall in my Hometown and it is a neighboring Village this weekend or next, we plan to go.

to that end, it isn't really that some players are against whatever they are against, that is part of what makes America great, not being in lockstep with what our Leaders do. I just can't understand why they feel they need a stage like an NFL game to share their feelings. sometime during the Cleveland Browns pre-season some players did just that. the Browns management got together with the Cleveland Police and Fire Fighters Unions. together they made a show of solidarity during the Home Opener when the Anthem was played.

we need more of that than the other.

I don't care one way or the other about the anthem crap. I am more concerned with how bad a lot of the games are. Bad teams , bad coaches , bad quarterbacks . Sometimes its like watching high school football , or even worse college :s

it is a strange phenomenon how some Teams never seem to improve, they are perpetually not very good, despite the attempts by the NFL for "parity" amongst everyone. it is clear(to me at least) that certain Head Coaches and franchises have an approach which finds them the best players to fit into their scheme of how to win/be competitive. I think a lot has to do with player evaluation and scouting, most Teams just aren't good at it.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I have the NFL ticket this year for free...however, I'm beyond done with the NFL.

The Kapernick thing was at first just stupid to me, but, as it grew, the final straw for me was when I saw Marshawn Lynch sitting on a bench eating a banana while the National Anthem was being played. More sadly, his net worth is $30m, which he derived from football, otherwise, he'd not be in such a sweet financial position, and, I doubt be so callous and disrespectful to our flag and MOST OF ALL, to those who gave their lives so he and those of his ilk could enjoy the incredible luxuries of life that they undoubtedly have in this country. They can all leave this country and never come back...maybe play for the North Korean Rockets.

I don't care if Dallas wins every game 56-0, or goes the other way, nor any other team that has players that take a knee or give some silly power salute. I will not be a party to supporting such nonsense. I don't really want to get too deeply into my memory bank and see faces of friends no longer here that I served with to make my point, it's really just very, very personal.

If you haven't been, when in D.C. go check out the Vietnam War Memorial near the Lincoln Memorial...58,000+, all great people who went way too young serving their country, a staggering sight when viewed a bit in the distance.

Nuff said.

As a Vietnam Vet I totally agree and if you were there (Vietnam) I thank you for your service as well. I have been to the wall and have a cousin on the wall.

Anybody that disrespects the Flag , Country or NA is dead to me and can leave the country.....you are taking up space.

Same goes for people who loot during disasters. Same goes for people who destroy or damage historical sites.

All of these people make me sick because they are getting all the benefits that those they are disrespecting got for them by giving their lives.

@keets said:
    it is a strange phenomenon how some Teams never seem to improve, they are perpetually not very good, despite the attempts by the NFL for "parity" amongst everyone. it is clear(to me at least) that certain Head Coaches and franchises have an approach which finds them the best players to fit into their scheme of how to win/be competitive. I think a lot has to do with player evaluation and scouting, most Teams just aren't good at it.

If an NFL team goes 0-16 they still make a profit. Where is the incentive to be number 1?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all honesty I think they might have jumped the gun on Dak, I was impressed with him in the playoffs last year but one season doesn't guarantee an Elite QB to carry your team for the next decade plus. I don't have a horse in the race and don't care either way how Dallas does just throwing that out there

@perkdog said:
    In all honesty I think they might have jumped the gun on Dak, I was impressed with him in the playoffs last year but one season doesn't guarantee an Elite QB to carry your team for the next decade plus. I don't have a horse in the race and don't care either way how Dallas does just throwing that out there

Dak was an excellent rookie last year.....I would give him an A+++++ for last year. I will have to wait and see how he does this year. And even if he does as good this year as he did last year.......that would still not be enough to consider a career.

I am hoping he and Zeke will shake off last week and start a win streak. Only time will tell. The fact that they went 13-3 last year gave them one of the hardest schedules for this year.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

Of more concern to Dallas should be Elliott giving up on an interception, just flat out quitting.

Agreed - Elliott standing there while the ball went the other way was a VERY bad look. His body language has been very telling, and what it's telling us is not good.

edited September 21, 2017 11:51AM

Hi body language is the same whenever he loses. He needs to learn how to handle things when they don't go his way on and off the field. He is a baby in a mans body

mark

@Justacommeman said:
    Hi body language is the same whenever he loses. He needs to learn how to handle things when they don't go his way on and off the field. He is a baby in a mans body

mark

He needs to grow up fast!!

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

how bout them chokeboyz?

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I had this one in the loss column for the Pack. Didn't think Dallas would lose 2 in a row at home. But they kept fighting. The Jones rookie RB may force McDummy to actually try and run the ball, rather than keep handing it off to some converted WR in the backfield. Really nice to beat them again right at the end.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@ADG said:
    I had this one in the loss column for the Pack. Didn't think Dallas would lose 2 in a row at home. But they kept fighting. The Jones rookie RB may force McDummy to actually try and run the ball, rather than keep handing it off to some converted WR in the backfield. Really nice to beat them again right at the end.

That never would have happened to the 92-93 Cowboys. :) We owned the Packers in the 90's and you had Farve who was ever bit as good as Rodgers. ;)

Rodgers is better than Favre was, who was prone to making boneheaded mistakes and throwing picks in crucial situations. I'd take Rodgers over Favre if I'm choosing one or the other.

@grote15 said:
    Rodgers is better than Favre was, who was prone to making boneheaded mistakes and throwing picks in crucial situations. I'd take Rodgers over Favre if I'm choosing one or the other.

I won't get into an argument on this. Farve was great and Rodgers is great. I would put Rodgers right up there with Brady as far as current ability. Of course Brady has the best career of the two.

I agree that Favre was great also. I just think Rodgers is as good a passer but less likely to turn the ball over.

@grote15 said:
    I agree that Favre was great also. I just think Rodgers is as good a passer but less likely to turn the ball over.

Rodgers won on celebrity jeopardy , no chance Farve does that :#

Farve was great. Rodger's is another level up

m

@grote15 said:

My daughter-in-law was a BIG Packer fan back then and would "moan" every year during the playoffs...."Why do we always have to play the Cowboys" and we would proceed to knock them out. :)

Those were the good ole days.....probably never to be seen again! :(

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

My daughter-in-law was a BIG Packer fan back then and would "moan" every year during the playoffs...."Why do we always have to play the Cowboys" and we would proceed to knock them out. :)

Those were the good ole days.....probably never to be seen again! :(

Madden & Summerall were the best in the booth calling those games. NFL classics.

Maybe they need a new DC.......he just isn't getting it done. A new HC too. And while we are at it a new owner!