Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever visited The Dalles Mint?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2017 10:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was just reading the US Mint history infographic and noticed The Dalles Mint was on it. A quick jump over to Wikipedia indicates it is now the home of the Erin Glenn Winery. It was planned due to the gold rushes in 1860 for Idaho (which also led to statehood) and Eastern Oregon.

The original, but not completed, design:

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2017 9:30AM

The part of this that sucks is that I've been to the area many times but BEFORE I knew about The Dalles Mint. Since my last visit out there things have changed and I have no real reason to ever go back.

I wonder if the mint mark would've been a "T" since the city's name is actually "THE DALLES".

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2017 9:31AM

The infographic's date in the 1980s for the West Point Mint opening is interesting because the West Point Mint was striking circulation cents in the 1970s (without mintmarks). Perhaps opening is related to marketing?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

How interesting.... I lived in WA state for twenty years... never knew about this....Nice area too. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 17, 2017 10:36AM

@ms70 said:
    The part of this that sucks is that I've been to the area many times but BEFORE I knew about The Dalles Mint. Since my last visit out there things have changed and I have no real reason to ever go back.

I wonder if the mint mark would've been a "T" since the city's name is actually "THE DALLES".

I've been up there several times as well but only learned about this just now!

Here's a discussion of what the mintmark could have been with a photo:

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=7049

• TD - The Dalles
    • DC - Dalles City (original name, also on design above)

Of course, since construction started in 1869, it could have simply used "D" since Dahlonega ceased operations in 1861 and Denver did not start until 1906.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live about 90 miles from there. I drive through The Dalles several times a year and I've seen the building. I had heard about the government constructing a building to house a mint there, but no equipment was ever installed. I had heard that it was due to the gold strikes in Idaho and in the Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon. They decided to build it in The Dalles because there was a military fort there as well as an established military road/stage route that lead to the gold fields, as well a river route. It was never completed because the gold rushes did not last long enough in the area.

I wish it had opened, it would have been really neat to have had some coins minted near here. :)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not.............would like to...............but...........probably wont based on my life situation :smile:

Any info will be appreciated :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to visit it.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ms70 said:

I've been up there several times as well but only learned about this just now!

Here's a discussion of what the mintmark could have been with a photo:

http://numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=7049

• TD - The Dalles
    • DC - Dalles City (original name, also on design above)

Of course, since construction started in 1869, it could have simply used "D" since Dahlonega ceased operations in 1861 and Denver did not start until 1906.

Too soon, otherwise the Mint at Carson would have used a C mint mark as well. DC makes sense. Other possibilities include those that would stand for then-historic names for the city or area, including Wascopam, or Quenett.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope never have

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: West Point Mint. "Perhaps opening is related to marketing?"
    Prior to the opening, West Point was a subsidiary facility of the Philadelphia Mint. Administratively, Ft. Knox was also under Philadelphia. This is because both were bullion depositories.

Also, the mint graphic has both these facilities opening in the wrong decade. Should be 1930s.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 7:23AM

@Zoins said:
    The infographic's date in the 1980s for the West Point Mint opening is interesting because the West Point Mint was striking circulation cents in the 1970s (without mintmarks). Perhaps opening is related to marketing?

The San Francisco Mint was officially an assay office between 1962 and 1988, even though it was striking proof coins, commemoratives and coins for circulation during that period.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing is certain. The "infographic" completely whiffed on recognizing the first gold discovery in the US. It was in North Carolina circa 1800. California was not first.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 4:07PM
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I looked at the Google Maps image. I liked the original design better than the mediocre thing I saw in the image.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through there 2 years ago on my way to and from the Spring ANA. Did not know about this then or I would have went to look for it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 6:20PM

Did not know an actual building was ever built. I'll try and look next time I'm through, since I love a good craft beer too.

I better stop at The Dalles however since the freeway eastbound is still closed!

There is a huge gold dredge at Sumpter which might have supplied a good bit of gold.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 6:29PM

I have lived within 100 miles of The Dalles almost all of my life, 70 years, and did not know a Mint Building was there. I will check it out the next time I go to Portland.
    The Middle Fork of the John Day River was dredged also until the government stopped them. Susanville which is in the same area was a Gold Rush town. Still at this time you can find gold in the area.

Ken

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

The back side of the building (viewed from 3rd St.) still looks a lot like the photo in Zoins' third post.

I agree with Justin that it would be more interesting if they had actually made some coins there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file