Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel... Alloy mix, sintered planchet, copper wash, PMD Your thoughts???

Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this nickel earlier this year in change and of course the copper coloring caught my attention. Is this a planchet preparation problem or do you think it happened during its life in the wild?

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint does not use powdered metal or sintering.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

I had read past posts about Sintered planchets. Over cooking or annealing. I don't know if the term referenced powdered metal though.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, that coin is stained and Not a improperly annealed planchet error.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    IMO, that coin is stained and Not a improperly annealed planchet error.

One comment out of 18 viewers. Thanks!

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017 4:12PM

@silverpop said:
    IMHO Stained nickel

OK, I wonder what causes stains it like this...

I'll be back... headed for the acetone!!

A few more of these replies and I can recoup my five cent investment ;)

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like PMD to me.

Interesting. I wonder what it is. Looks like copper. Acetone and vigorous fingering has zero effect.

@Batman23 said:

@RogerB said:

I had read past posts about Sintered planchets. Over cooking or annealing. I don't know if the term referenced powdered metal though.

None of this is "sintering." The US Mint has never used sintering in any of its operations. It is completely irrelevant to minting US coins.

@RogerB said:

@Batman23 said:

@RogerB said:

None of this is "sintering." The US Mint has never used sintering in any of its operations. It is completely irrelevant to minting US coins.

You might be correct technically. But I have seen the term Sintering a few times in the past. Here is one reference: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/852687/1961-jefferson-from-a-roll-alloy-error

and a quote from that thread:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Today we call them "Sintered" or
    "Mis-annealed" planchets.

In the 'old' days, they were called
    'Copper Wash' coins.

It's the result of the planchet, before
    it was struck, being overheated in
    the annealing process - literally Sintered.

The references are a misuse of the term "sintering" or "sintered." There is no reason to perpetuate this. Sintering is a specific metallurgical process - never used by the US Mint. Just because something has a burnt or darkly oxidized appearance is no excuse for using the wrong term. Simply call them oxidized....but "being overheated in the annealing process - literally Sintered," is as wrong as calling the reverse of a coin "the edge."

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The references are a misuse of the term "sintering" or "sintered." There is no reason to perpetuate this. Sintering is a specific metallurgical process - never used by the US Mint. Just because something has a burnt or darkly oxidized appearance is no excuse for using the wrong term. Simply call them oxidized....but "being overheated in the annealing process - literally Sintered," is as wrong as calling the reverse of a coin "the edge."

PCGS does not seem to see it that way. Am I supposed to not use the term they use?
    greatcollections.com/Coin/117270/Mint-Error-2000-D-Jefferson-Nickel-Improperly-Annealed-Sintered-Planchet-PCGS-MS-64

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of it is staining but not all. Some of it could also be some sort of copper residue contamination remaining on/in the press. Were these struck on the horizontal presses?

One easy way to be sure but I don't recommend that. Send it in to our host.

BTW, I don't agree with Fred on this, We also called them "copper wash." I always thought the copper residue got on the coin on its way or in the press.

Why can't this be an improper ally mix just as our streaked cents?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

RogerB is correct, and the term has long been misapplied in numismatic use. That nickel has been stained... and it does not come off with acetone because it is not organic. It is chemical in nature and could be removed by other coin dips. It is not the result of the mint process. Cheers, RickO

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental Damage -

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017 8:11AM

@Batman23

Folks and TPGS are free to use any terms they wish about characteristics found on coins.

That's why there is often some confusion. Usually, over time, with research and dispersal of info from knowledgeable sources, the correct and accurate terms become standard.

As with you, I was one of the ignorant folks who used "DOUBLE DIE" to describe these coins for years. Then I learned the correct terminology. In the same way, one TPGS used "cud" on their label for these errors. Now they use a more correct description (Major Die Break) rather than the old "slang."

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017 9:55AM

And while we are correcting each other on the proper and accurate use of words, why do people keep referring to a "nickel". The US Mint has never minted any denomination called a "nickel"....

So it seems calling something a "sintered nickel" is two times wrong.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty damn cool if ya ask me. Today I learned something. Thank you for sharing this quite unusual "Nickel" :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

It is amazing the wealth of knowledge that resides on this forum in all types of subject matter! Thanks for all the comments.

• I have an improperly annealed planchet nickel. The nickel mentioned above is "NOT" it has been environmentally stained.
    I have a few more and none of them look like yours.

• I have an improperly annealed planchet nickel. The nickel mentioned above is "NOT" it has been environmentally stained. I have posted on this before but here are better pics.

Interesting bump, I have already moved on from this one five years ago.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite what Fred Weinberg stated in the other thread that isn't "sintered" which was used by someone who doesn't understand the definition of the word. Sintering is a process sometimes referred to as Compressed Powdered Metal which is a good description of the process: With metals, they are powdered and formed under pressure with heat that doesn't allow the metal to reach a liquid state.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file