Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old timers - how did you as a dealer/collector deal with the US gold ban?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this recently. It was purchased for commercial use but survived.

Interesting discussion. In the late 40's my Dad was raising a family of 4 on $100/month plus housing. Buying gold at any price wasn't an option.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017 8:43PM

@Insider2 said:
    @stealer said: "I love responses like these. Does anyone really think that an average joe with a peashooter is going to stop a small group of well-trained operators? And are you really willing to give up your life over a pile of metal? What a time to be alive."

I think the poster is making a point. Although you are Asian, I'll bet you know the purpose for the Second Amendment in our country. We'll leave that out of the discussion.

Woah nelly, did we have to bring ethnicity into this? Are you assuming that I wasn't born and raised in the US and therefore haven't had the requisite amount of US propaganda shoved down my throat already?

As for your post, I should hate to be a well trained "operator" looking over my shoulder all the time while waiting for that head shot from one of the millions of hick sharpshooters that is sure to come. Look what happened in Afghanistan to the Russians. Yeah, yeah the average person in America is not going to have "Stingers." How about America and Vietnam? We got defeated in a guerrilla war.

The Northern Vietnamese had plenty of military support from the Chinese and Soviet governments. I don't think your average rice farmer learned how to fight a guerrilla war overnight.

My point is this: any normal U.S. citizen person who passes a background check can get just about any of the identical caliber rifles, optics, or handguns the "operators" have. They are not peashooters. They just don't put lead down range as fast.

I'm aware of this fact, and I will append "and the average joe doesn't practice as often as an operator does" to the bolded sentence. Your average joe will have his front teeth kicked in by some properly trained operators. It doesn't matter how many RPM, you can't miss fast enough to win.

For the record, I'm in the market for some of my own 2nd amendment boomsticks for hobby shooting, I just don't plan on using them against the military if/when they come knocking for my stuff.

If there's one thing you can learn from the cultural revolution, it's that sometimes it's better to take it lying down...

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother, an antiques dealer, told me that people, to hide their gold, used $20 gold double eagles as weights in their drapes.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that many people in 1933 just thumbed their nose at the gold turn in requests, just as they did for the preceding thirteen years of Prohibition.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file