Home U.S. Coin Forum

Remember the "Presidential $1 Coins Collection" cards the Mint distributed?

From 2007-2011, one could get thick cardboard collector cards from the Mint for the early Prez (and later N.A.) dollars (Washington thru Garfield). They stopped issuing them once the coins were no longer released into general circulation. Holes for 23 coins in all (4, 4, 5, 5, 5).

Any value over face for a filled P&D set of 45 coins (missing only the Garfield "D"), or better to just cash them in at the bank and use the $ to buy something else?

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed collecting these until we got to living presidents. Killed the whole thing.

• @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I enjoyed collecting these until we got to living presidents. Killed the whole thing.

Not sure what you mean, none of the five past presidents still alive have coins yet

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the First Day Coin Covers?

How about the Signature sets? If there was any presibuck product I wished they continued, it was the Signature sets. I thought they were well done and frankly, pretty cool...

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    From 2007-2011, one could get thick cardboard collector cards from the Mint for the early Prez (and later N.A.) dollars (Washington thru Garfield). They stopped issuing them once the coins were no longer released into general circulation. Holes for 23 coins in all (4, 4, 5, 5, 5).

Any value over face for a filled P&D set of 45 coins (missing only the Garfield "D"), or better to just cash them in at the bank and use the $ to buy something else?

Ha!!

I've got a very nice complete unc/proof set 07-11 PDS in a nice Dansco with the slipcase in the BST for $160/delivered and haven't even had an offer! Might just as well spend your PD collection?!?!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:

I imagine that if there is any value at all in the set you describe, it might be in the holders themselves, someday. As for the coins, use them to buy a real collectible coin, an that might go up in value. I am not saying that your set us not worth having, but if you are looking at a return on investment then I would save the holders and invest the coins.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btwini said:

Not sure what you mean, none of the five past presidents still alive have coins yet

And they never will.... unless Congress passes a new law. The Presidential series that we all knew and loved/liked/tolerated/hated has ended.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

And may the most uninspired sereis of coins ever RIP.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, I'm SURE the Mint/etc will come up with even MORE uninspired series in the future! ;)

I pulled the coins out of bank rolls as they were issued, put them in the cards, and there they've been sitting ever since. Those are on top of the sets each of us has in Whitman folders. So they really are just extras. Rather than go thru the hassle of spending them over time and getting confused looks from cashiers, I'll probably just take them over to the bank and cash them in - - maybe still in the cards, in case they know of anyone who'd like a ready-made set. Doubt anyone else would be clamoring for them.

Next on my list...... some Sac/N.A. dollar rolls we got hold of from a while back.......

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

To be honest, I have never particularly liked the Presidential program (even though I own all of them).

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Same here... they always reminded me of the Presidential and Car Coin series Sunoco gas stations offered to customers back in the 60's/70's......................

• @JBK said:

@btwini said:

And they never will.... unless Congress passes a new law. The Presidential series that we all knew and loved/liked/tolerated/hated has ended.

Guess I'll have to stick to weird african country commemoratives to fill in the last of them then.

I believe Littleton Coin offers a fantasy "completer" collection of all the live presidents, up to & including Trump. I don't plan on buying that set............. I figure that, at some point, either 1 at a time as they pass, or after enough of them pass to issue a new annual set, there will be special legislation passed to mint Prez $1's for them as well. Enough supporters from each party will insist they be represented along with all the rest vs being "slighted" for someone to make it their pet project. Maybe some of the $1's nobody wants that are being stored in massive warehouses can be melted down & re-used to make the new ones. Maybe there'd be a big run on them (translation: more profit for the Mint) by fans of those currently-living Presidents, similar to the JFK halves after they came out. Just my two (ok, 100) cents worth..........

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never cared for the series... I know of one YN that was interested in them...prior to his current passion - females. The sets you have would be good as a giveaway for YN's ... Cheers, RickO

Been away from the Forum for a bit (vacation travel), but back home, all caught up, and FINALLY pulled the trigger & cashed them in at the bank.............. gonna buy some silver with the proceeds...........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file