Home Metal Detecting
Options

Anyone making plans to beach metal detect in southern Florida?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

After Irma passes of course.

I've always wanted to go out after a major storm, but the timing isn't right right now, due to other life commitments :(

Just thinking of what may show up by movement of the sand and maybe be brought up from out of the water.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to do it, but, no time

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be a great opportunity..... the West Coast usually produces more gold coins, but with a storm of this magnitude, anything could show up....and probably will. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah to what ricko said.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a number of years ago a winter storm hit the Monterey and Carmel area really hard and removed huge amounts of sand from the local beachs. A person with a metal detector went out on the Monterey shoreline and found a Liberty double eagle. That would be an exciting find.

• Options

Merc42 I live in St. Augustine and plan on going out as many times as I can got to be something out on the beaches.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Merc42 said:
    Merc42 I live in St. Augustine and plan on going out as many times as I can got to be something out on the beaches.

Be sure to charge your batteries before, in case of a blackout.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Merc42.... Welcome aboard.... and that is a great area to be checking... Please let us know what you find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never done beach detecting. Always thought it would be interesting. bet the sand and ocean bottom gets churned up on this one. Maybe it will take take of a few Pythons too

• Options

Saw, on the news obviously, as I am not there, that there are areas where the winds took water completely AWAY for a couple hundred yards. I believe it was Tampa Bay where an area that was usually 4ft deep was empty of water. It WILL come back, and it will come back hard and heavy when it does, but until then......hmmmmmmm

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Yes... I saw those areas devoid of usual water.... a large hurricane phenomena.... It would be great to MD out there.... not much time though, and could be very fast when the water returns.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone been finding anything

• Options

Wow. Crickets.

Maybe the devastation was too much for people? It would honestly be hard for me to go into an area where families had their houses and livelihoods wiped out, and some died, and walk around the area (even if just the beach). I would feel like an unsympathetic vulture.

I did think that there would be something in the news, or on the forums, though.

Ps...even with the above, if I were not on the clear diagonal opposite of the country, but closer, I would have tried hard to go.

• Options

If I were there, I would definitely do some beach detecting....yes, the appearance to some may not be the best, however, life goes on and I never was one to let 'opinions' bother me. My moral compass is excellent, and there is nothing here that tells me it would be wrong. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Divers that have entered the water after the storm have reported all is well with the corals, etc and that the storms did not damage anything under the surface. That seemed strange to me but what do I know?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone does.............and if anyone does find something..............please post and let us know :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@AUandAG...Storms have been known to damage reefs and even bring old wrecks up, causing danger to both boats and swimmers... Cheers, RickO