Home Precious Metals
Options

Homestake Mining kilo bar value?

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my local B&Ms has a Homestake Mining kilo silver bar he is willing to sell to me, but we're having difficulty determining a fair price. With the 10 oz class bars going for $1000-$1200 when they show up on Ebay, what would be a reasonable value for a kilo class bar? One just finished at $1385 (seems like a deal when compared to the 10 oz bars), but that's just one data point. Can anybody shed some light??

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

pic? year of manufacture?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Pieces of Me hopefully is up on this.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2017 7:35PM

A 1982 Homestake Kilo bar sold on eBay tonight for $1384.

Auction # 401395842310

Sorry, I see you reference that. Seems like a pretty legit comp. Current, certainly similar. It was a true auction with 10 bidders from a seller with 9,000 feedback. It's a single data point, but it is a better point of reference than we often get with unusual items.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    A 1982 Homestake Kilo bar sold on eBay tonight for $1384.

Auction # 401395842310

link to ebay sale

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not know about the market for these bars...I assume the value is due to scarcity? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 10:04AM

As I stated in the OP, I know about the Ebay sale at $1384. I also know about the listing from Jan through May that went unsold at $2495 (over-priced Dr. Platinum, not surprising...), then was sold off-Ebay for an unknown price. I can't find any other legitimate sales in my searches, although I do remember seeing these on Ebay over the years.

I also know about the most recent Ebay sales of the 10 oz class bars at $1200, $975 and $1080 respectively. I am aware that smaller bars typically carry a higher per oz premium over larger bars, but 300%??? That seems a bit excessive - either the three buyers and numerous underbidders of the 10 oz bars grossly overpaid, or the buyer of the recent kilo class bar did well.

• Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭

@mbogoman The 10 ounce Homestake's seem to bring a higher premium per/oz than the Kilo's. I think if you can purchase the bar for 10-15% back of the recent eBay pricing, you will have paid FMV. Any additional reduction, and you will have bought even better.

Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI