Home U.S. Coin Forum

1834 lg date and small date , 35 large n small, what important VARIETY 1831 HALF DOLLARS are there?

In the collection I purchased, it had these 9 early half dollars. I noticed he has (2) 1835's and 2 1834's. I found that he must have got 2 of each bc of the large date and small date. Why do you think he would want (4) 1831's ? What important varieties should I be checking for? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends on what the collector wanted.

Redbook varieties, like large/small dates/letters? Or, more likely, coins he happened upon that he liked or could afford. (There are no special varieties for 1831 or 1835.)

This is not to say there aren't scarce die marriages for those years. You would need to do a little research to determine this. It's not hard and there are websites to help you along.
    Lance.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the guy was just picking up coins he ran into at the right price.

Larry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely just acquired all the older coins as he could afford them... If they were special, most people would note that on a flip or in a folder. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file