Home Precious Metals
Options

Can "Flat Rate" box be registered?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm planning to ship 4 bags of 90% silver this coming week.
How's it work with a flat rate box? Or does it?
Load it with tape?

Thanks.... :)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2017 9:18PM

And if you need proof of delivery on your registered package, tell the clerk "electronic return receipt." It's cheaper and you do not have to fill out a tracking receipt (with registered mail your registered mail number is your tracking number). Ebay/PP accept this as proof of delivery and with the tracking number you and anyone else can view a PDF of the recipients signature.

Also note that insurance is now included in the registered rate and no longer has to be purchased separately. You still have to declare the item value on the accompanying Form 3806. The value declared there is the amount insured.

When sending items 13 ozs. or less registered, always tell the clerk "first class registered." Otherwise you will get charged the priority registered rate. And, be aware that priority registered items do not get the normal priority expedited delivery. You are paying the priority rate for the weight, not the rush. Expect 3-10 days for first class and priority registered delivery.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:
    And if you need proof of delivery on your registered package, tell the clerk "electronic return receipt." It's cheaper and you do not have to fill out a tracking receipt (with registered mail your registered mail number is your tracking number). Ebay/PP accept this as proof of delivery and with the tracking number you and anyone else can view a PDF of the recipients signature.

Also note that insurance is now included in the registered rate and no longer has to be purchased separately. You still have to declare the item value on the accompanying Form 3806. The value declared there is the amount insured.

When sending items 13 ozs. or less registered, always tell the clerk "first class registered." Otherwise you will get charged the priority registered rate. And, be aware that priority registered items do not get the normal priority expedited delivery. You are paying the priority rate for the weight, not the rush. Expect 3-10 days for first class and priority registered delivery.

After years of seeing registered 1st class shipments taking a week or so to reach their destination, lately they have been getting the 2 day priority mail treatment. IT'S WEIRD and I'm already spoiled LOL

• Options

Distance is not as important as proximity to a USPS mail hub when getting fast delivery. I've had registered from Jacksonville to LA take only two-three days. Big factor is how many USPS facilities are involved with the handling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... I have done it.... the recommendations cited above are excellent... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, used to do it all the time

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I use flat rate box for Registered Mail shipments. You pay the same postage for one coin or a bunch using a flat rate box.

The brown tape seems to get harder to find every year. Many of the office supply stores don't stock it. I buy multiple rolls at a time so I always have it around. My post office used to have some lying around you could use, but no longer.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options

I find the brown paper tape at Staples.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have some silver, TS???

;)

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I'm planning to ship 4 bags of 90% silver this coming week.
    How's it work with a flat rate box? Or does it?
    Load it with tape?

Thanks.... :)

I was told tho that you can't cover the words FLAT RATE BOX. There is very little that needs covered with a priority box; just the flap and corners for the small boxes.The ink stamp sticks to the cardboard just fine. You can also use regional flat rate depending upon weight. Frankly, registered gets kinder and gentler handling so IMO no need to pay extra for the medium size.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

;)

Very...VERY....Little.
    Haven't felt this ...liberated....for a long time.
    Still have a ...bit.
    You know...... TSHTF....nonsense and stuff. :D

Now GOLD.... yummy. :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2017 12:37PM

@topstuf said:

@Coinstartled said:

;)

Very...VERY....Little.
    Haven't felt this ...liberated....for a long time.
    Still have a ...bit.
    You know...... TSHTF....nonsense and stuff. :D

Now GOLD.... yummy. :)

Just don't sell all of your silver. You may need to fashion a bullet out of an Engelhard 5oz old pour bar. It's the only combo known to stop a zombie. Gold is too soft. Save that for gypsy hookers

This is the kind of stuff no one likes to talk about.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......