Home U.S. Coin Forum

1917 SLQ full head and gorgeous

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2017 1:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm imaged some coins for my good friend, Jeremy, "Clarkbar" and this absolutely gorgeous 17 type 1 full head is in the group. I don't think you can argue the fact that it is a gorgeous piece with just the right amount of color, luster and bold strike for it to be a standout in any collection. I have also imaged this coin with my new Nikon D750 and a new Sigma 180MM lens with a cloaked frame around my camera and copystand . I love the results. I'm still learning my way around this amazing camera and lens so don't be too hard on me.
Thank you bud for letting me put your coin up for show and tell.
Happy hunting, Joe

Light changes and auto focus tweaking. I'll get there one day :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely nailed it!! Nice job, I think you have your new hot-rod camera setup dialed in now.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 1:13PM

It's a learning process I'm working with. It'll get better with time. Thank you for the constructive criticism FadeToBlack well received my man. This is casting shadows and looks pretty good. I also changed my auto focus, looks better I think.
    Thank you, Jeremy, for the patents.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A beautiful coin. Great pictures, too.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 1:12PM

That coin is HAMMERED. LOVE it! Great images as well.

Just curious, what'd it grade out at?

@FadeToBlack said:

@crazyhounddog said:

It's a learning process I'm working with. It'll get better with time. Thank you for the constructive criticism FadeToBlack well received my man. This is casting shadows and looks pretty good. I also changed my auto focus, looks better I think.
    Thank you, Jeremy, for the patents.

That looks a lot better!

FWIW, I use manual focus at all times when shooting coins. Makes for clearer pictures, I never trust autofocus to do as good a job as I can.

I'm hoping the auto focus will get the job done. I have old man eyes but I most always go manually on everything including focus. This camera should be able to pull it off. I'll keep the faith :)

If you change your lighting angle just a little the outcome could be a huge like these other images. A completely different look.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RB1026 said:

Its an MS64. Originally came from a yellow anacs 65 holder. Not sure what the limiting factor is, I have another 65FH SLQ and the 17 is nicer.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

you certainly have done a fine job of presenting this coin and capturing stunning pictures. Well done.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

@RB1026 said:

Its an MS64. Originally came from a yellow anacs 65 holder. Not sure what the limiting factor is, I have another 65FH SLQ and the 17 is nicer.

Thanks for the info clarkbar04. WOW! That's a killer for a 64. I was all in at 65 or even 65+ . Might be worth another try at some point. I've wanted to add one of these to my collection for some time and would be thrilled to find that one in a 64 holder. No matter the grade on the holder, CONGRATS on a SUPER coin!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! on that last picture it looks like the eagle is ready to fly right off the coin. I like it a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin.

Larry

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures Joe, you really captured tht coin. You might consider using Nikon's Camera Control 2 which allows you to adjust focus on your monitor screen with an image that is much larger than through the viewfinder or the live view screen.

• NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

D750 and sigma macro is a deadly combo to amazing pics! Enjoy! Great pics BTW

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very,very nice!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW.....that is a BEAUTIFUL Quarter. All the revets in the shield are FULL and so is LIBERTY's!

And nice pics Joe.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and very good photo!

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice SLQ. Pics look pretty darn good.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Great pictures Joe, you really captured tht coin. You might consider using Nikon's Camera Control 2 which allows you to adjust focus on your monitor screen with an image that is much larger than through the viewfinder or the live view screen.

I'm about to move my copystand setup next the my computer desk/monitor so I can tether them to do just that. It's time to jump into the modern world for the old man. I agree it's the way to go.
    Thanks to all for the complements and constructive criticism.
    Joe

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

I'm about to move my copystand setup next the my computer desk/monitor so I can tether them to do just that. It's time to jump into the modern world for the old man. I agree it's the way to go.
    Thanks to all for the complements and constructive criticism.
    Joe

I wish I good take pics this good. Really great pic Joe! :)

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking '17. And the last set of photos turned out very well. A challenge, with the toning, various contours reflecting at different angles, bright untoned areas. Nice job at fine tuning your technique, Joe.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great image, beautiful coin!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Wow! That is truly a beautiful quarter. Thanks for posting. You have done well.

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful SLQ!!!!!! Great job imaging..... AB

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 10:03PM

@RogerB said:
    Nice coin and very good photo!

hear, hear

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 100% in agreement this is a gorgeous coin! Congrats on the beautiful photos as well!

• HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

A truly beautiful coin and a great photograph. Very nice. B)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a super great strike on an SLQ.... what a great coin... sure looks better than a 64..... Great photography as well.....Cheers, RickO

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin and beautiful photos.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in love with that lady. Beautiful coin and pics. Can I invite her on a date?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file