Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin stories

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I though I would share one with the forum. When I first collecting Mercury dime I was far from picky.
In fact I was just happy to fill holes. And then I cleaned them with either baking soda or a pencil eraser.
I also had some without dates so maybe it was a key date.
Now to the more recent time, I would pick up better looking in junk bins, that was step one.
Next step happened after I was a part time dealer at a state show, someone sold me some graded mercury dimes in old rattlers.
Not a complete short but more than half of the set. Just as in fishing I got hooked. So now I wanted to do a graded short set.
A good friend that was a wholesale dealer sold me some Mercury dimes before the short set. So now I had to try to complete the set.

I haven't posted this to admit how short sighted I was when I was much younger

PS I meet a registry set member at a FUN show and he told me I did the same thing when he started collecting Merc dimes, that made me feel better.

Still working on my set may be I will be able to completely the set in Mint state. :)

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be more interesting to show some pics along w/the stories.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 2:07PM

Ahhhh yes, the early days.....paid my dues.

Bought cleaned sliders for MS money.

Bought third world slabs in almost any grade from AU 50-MS 64.

Purchased raw and all different series across the board.

Finally got my focus and a plan about 12 years ago....I am continually learning and evolving.

Mentored by many great board members, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 2:04PM

As a youngster with a paper route in the late 50s / early 60s between the change collected from customers and searching through rolls from a local bank the only Lincolns I never found were the 14-D, 22 Plain and 55 DDO. A friend of mine did find the 55 but for some reason I was never able to talk him out of it. Jefferson nickels, found them all (up to 65). Mercury dimes, all but a 16-D and the overdates.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had more trouble cleaning my room than coins. Guess that's why I stayed grounded for like 18 years.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 3:28PM

I was born in 1960.
    At age 8 I decided to collect Jefferson Nickels (I was a paperboy and also stashed away ALL pre-65 silver).
    I had a huge flip open steel tackle box, all of the trays were lined with flat cork strips to absorb moisture when a wet lure was placed in it's slot...
    SO, I thought it would be a good place to stash my nickels......
    Checked them a few days later and they all were as black coal.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grandmother had about 80 circulated Morgan's. In 1963 or so my dad bought the pocket price guide for a quarter and decided to check the values.

Before starting though he got out the silver polish paste and worked them over real good.

Never saw the coins after that and that was probably a good thing.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said:
    I was born in 1960.
    At age 8 I decided to collect Jefferson Nickels (I was a paperboy and also stashed away ALL pre-65 silver).
    I had a huge flip open steel tackle box, all of the trays were lined with flat cork strips to absorb moisture when a wet lure was placed in it's slot...
    SO, I thought it would be a good place to stash my nickels......
    Checked them a few days later and they all were as black coal.

Lots of ex-paperboys here.
    Do any of you ex-paperboy coin collectors also have the 3c paperboy stamp?
    I have a nice sheet.....it's a cheap sheet...as most of them are.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A former paper boy here.... early fifties.... when SLQ'S, V nickels, Columbian halves and all silver was common change....had a collection then, kept in a drawer with socks and other things. Most of those disappeared after I joined the Navy...even my '55DDO'S.... A few other coins survived that 'clean up' by my well meaning Mom.... in a band aid can. Sure wish I had those DDO's... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 11:55AM

I used a pencil eraser to make all my Lincolns look good. Nice and shiny!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

i hear stories. Wish I could retell them.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story DCW.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

Lots of ex-paperboys here.
    Do any of you ex-paperboy coin collectors also have the 3c paperboy stamp?
    I have a nice sheet.....it's a cheap sheet...as most of them are.

Here ya go.....

Sometimes my wife says she thinks I have one of everything.

maybe we should have an "old newsboy day" here on the forum.

Lots of old paperboys....and I mean OLD....lol
    The only thing the stamp designer forgot to include was the loose Doberman chewing on his (my) ankle.....

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...'old' paperboy here... as I have often mentioned. I do not have one of those stamps...did not know about them.. Was a great job, though cold in the winter here in the mountains. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

No paper route, but sure shined a lot of shoes..........spit shine was extra.:)

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the paperboy thing as a kid.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at over 50 years in the hobby. At age 13, I had a paper route, mowed yards and picked up coke bottles. I thought I was rich. After school I would ride by bike to the local coin shop. It was only about 2 miles away. The owner was really kind to me. We were friends for about 40 years before he passed. He brought me behind the counter when the shop was busy and put me at his desk in the back to sort out large collections. In return, I got first shot at some really cool coins. I miss the guy. We built a trust that I'll never forget.

Larry

• Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Back in the '70's and 80's, several of us would drive to Dallas to one of the coin shops. One guy would buy anywhere from 1 to 5 Unc. Morgans Dollars, usually 1881-S. For some reason he liked the 1881-S Morgans. They could, today, grade MS63 to MS65. The first thing he would do when arrived home was to take silver polish and polish each one of the Unc. Morgans to where they were bright and shiny. We ask why did he do this as he ruined the value and they were only now worth silver content, he said, these belong to me and I will never sell them and I like them shiny.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried ....selling.... "improved" coat hangers.
    Also Kool Aid

:'(

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never had a dealer take me under their wing.
    Still learning and still making mistakes and loosing $$$$
    However slowly getting better!

I have learned one thing Eye appeal is SOOOOOO important!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file