Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Really? How can this happen? *prices posted*

NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2017 2:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This peson is now bragging too!

What's going on here? How can this happen? Makes me wonder....

One went from AU details (questionable color) to MS62!

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are paying for a single opinion given at a specific time. It is merely a single data point.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is interesting about the 3C piece is that he had photos of that posted in an old white ANACS holder graded AU53.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Tom said. AND coins look market acceptable, hence the resubmit. Same for me too.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has submitted a significant number of coins to the TPGs would not be surprised at this.

Of course, I'm guilty as well, as on any given day I may have one opinion about a coin of mine, and have a very different opinion the next day.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also a case for all coins having to go through the Secure scan service. As all were successful at a lower tier.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a difference. The top set, strictly graded, are in the PCGS Secure Plus slab. The coins in the bottom row are not so if the coins were sent in within several months:

1. The Secure holder coins are graded more strictly.
    2. The grading teams may be different.
    3. Secure Plus coins that are "straight graded" should be worth more money than regular label coins.
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I actually saw that original post (since I follow him). My belief is that since graders often have different opinions at different times, this occurred.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Pretty stupid business practice to post that comparison regardless of the practical realities of grading variability.

First thing I thought of too.......

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me want to resubmit my avatar coin. Still will probably be going to NGC next, then if it straight grades there, I will try crossing.

• Options

Instead of spending money on my next coin, I am going to take a set of coins I own and send them for higher grades...its a gamble... but if played correctly, might come out profitable.

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I'll say it.

Gradeflation.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 10:26AM

@TomB said:
    You are paying for a single opinion given at a specific time. It is merely a single data point.

I agree.

Maybe we should send in coins 3 or 4 times and ask TPGs to give the average of all attempts? More profits for TPGs, also the label should say "average grade after X attempts" lol!!

Oh! Then there will be a new market for thrice graded coins VS one time graded coins. Its a win situation for TPGs.

Imagine stickering those slabs that has been graded thrice.. wow! The market will love it! Your regular green bean will sound silly at that point.

Have fun collecting coins! :smile:

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

This happens from time to time. I agree with insider2 about different grading teams . I've got to believe that some teams are more seasoned graders. This is nothing new. I've sent 64 Buffs in that become 65 Buffs.
    Carry on

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

It's three genuine shield grades promoted to 63, 62 and 63BN. Amazing how that happens.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    I'll say it.

Gradeflation.

I Disagree.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if the 50C or 1C results are anything to brag about seeing as the submission fee probably cost more than they're worth in their new holders.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 10:49AM

@Insider2 said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    I'll say it.

Gradeflation.

I Disagree.

Please expound / explain how three coins go from genuine to low 60s grade.

If I was you, I'd go with a three sigma distribution of bell curve grading and leave it at that.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 11:40AM

@epcjimi1 said:

@Insider2 said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    I'll say it.

Gradeflation.

I Disagree.

If I was you, I'd go with a three sigma distribution of bell curve grading and leave it at that.

LOL...that bell curve you reference is one of those "academic things" used by intellectuals to impress folks like me that never got their GED. For the other intellectuals, please note that I have already posted the possible reasons for the grade change - see above. I disagree it was due to "gradeflation" so I never mentioned it in my original post

Nevertheless, I shall explain further. "Gradeflation" happens over a period of time. Errors in grading do also; however the period of time is generally much shorter. That is the reason I clarified my original post. If the coins were sent in within a few months, it is not "true gradeflation."

Now I'll toss you a "bone." If a submitter happened to get very lucky and caught one of the subtle changes of policy within a TPGS that goes on infrequently...you may be right "bell thingy" or not. ROTFL & chucking my lunch.

The fact is, only the person who sent the coins in knows the time period between the submissions. If the coins were bought slabbed and the OP wished to try his hand at the "crack-out" game, I'd say he has a "great eye." Congratulations and Sign him up! Hopefully this post was a little more clear - NOT GRADFLATION! :wink:

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

On coins where there is actual value, good luck getting them to go up. These coins above are not in the category. The Trime is worth the same in AU as it is in low MS.

The questionable color thing is also getting out of hand these days. The other two, what a waste of money grading them in the first place, but even worse doing it twice.

• Options

The seller says they want at least the prices quoted below because they have been offered more than this, supposedely they rejected the offer:

"The 1923 would be over 125$ if I sell it and the walker would be 175 + if I sell it"

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options

Moreover, the seller is super cocky in talking and sounding very immature :D !

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 2:39PM

@Insider2 said:

@epcjimi1 said:

@Insider2 said:

@epcjimi1 said:
    I'll say it.

Gradeflation.

I Disagree.

LOL...that bell curve you reference is one of those "academic things" used by intellectuals to impress folks like me that never got their GED.

Then you are pretty easy to impress..............

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 3:00PM

Not sure what the point of including his handle in the post, clearly you have a personal vendetta and dragging it to the CU boards which is also very immature.

Moreover, you proved my point by hitting the "disagree" button. I've dealt with the guy before and he is excellent to deal with. You come off like a troll now.

Not much of a surprise that a coin graded once could come back a different grade, or straight grade after QC. The damaged one is a bit of a head scratcher.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@Numiven said: "Moreover, the seller is super cocky in talking and sounding very immature!"

I think we all should like to think we are better coin graders than the 2-3 $100,000+ per year professionals who reached an opinion. That's why we see things like this or posts with graded coins the poster does not agree with.

• Options

@spacehayduke said: "Then you are pretty easy to impress..."

Yep, especially if it is gold or sparkles. B)

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too bad on the resubmission... I just can't understand why someone would want a common date WLH to be sent back in, unless they expected to come back in a 65 or higher holder.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the SP submissions, you can view the SP photos.

those are new enough that the photos online should be pretty good.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2017 2:58PM

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

• Options

@MorganMan94 said: "I am an Instagram member and would consider myself friends with the member in the OP. He is a young collector and had three nice coins with good color that he wanted slabbed, who can blame him? Coins sell better slabbed and it provides great Truview photos. I find it a bit funny how members here discuss the lack of young collectors but when one posts three coins that he upgraded everyone bashes on him and asks why he would even submit them? That will make him want to join these forums I'm sure. Not everyone has the kind of money some members have here, why can't everyone appreciate coins priced in a range that is affordable to many?"

While I do agree that the OP's post was strange and probably should not have been put in a PCGS forum, IMO, I think most of the posts were fair. In fact, some were given in praise:

"If the coins were bought slabbed and the OP wished to try his hand at the "crack-out" game, I'd say he has a "great eye." Congratulations and Sign him up!"

"Not too bad on the resubmission."

"I've dealt with the guy before and he is excellent to deal with."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone who responded in this thread bashed him, MorganMan94.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Not everyone who responded in this thread bashed him, MorganMan94.

It's a figure of speech, not everyone but a majority.

• Options

This post was to highlight gow grading opinion caries by the minute. Nothing else.

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options

surprised on the 3cs QC
    not surprised on the cent QC as that blue is still under heavy debate. perhaps pcgs took a cue from EagleEye and says it is MA.
    on the walker, machine damage? where?
    but that dark coloring is butt ugly. if the YN likes it then ok, just don't pay big money for that because it will be hard to sell later. in fact, I'd pay impaired money for it.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 4:00PM

@Numiven said:
    This post was to highlight gow grading opinion caries by the minute. Nothing else.

Then why include his handle in the OP and then say he is bragging and later cocky and immature? (he is neither of those things)

You tried to lowball him on a few the coins and he wouldn't sell, pure and simple. So you thought you'd start a thread about it. Clearly not the entire intent of your post.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said: "...on the walker, machine damage? where?"

All I see is the scrape on the sun that may look similar to a counting wheel mark. One the second exam the TPGS must have changed their mind and just regarded it as a scrape.

"...but that dark coloring is butt ugly."

That is end stage oxidation. The underlying surface is ruined. Nevertheless, the color contrast is pretty. I have a black car. Shiny black can be beautiful!

• Options

@clarkbar04 said: "Then why include his handle in the OP and then say he is bragging and later cocky and immature? (he is neither of those things). You tried to lowball him on a few the coins and he wouldn't sell, pure and simple. So you thought you'd start a thread about it."

So the plot thickens and we have the "rest of the story." :p

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 4:15PM

Hey, I just mean it was too much to ask $175 and $125 for those coins and I also felt some subpar customer service when talking. Whats wong in saying that?

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

If he has 2 grading fees into each of those (one poster said he saw the 3 center in an old anacs au cache) he's buried unless he finds a collector who falls in love with the colors and jumps on them. The upgrades certainly don't cover the fees unless the toning plays. Part of paying 'Numismatic Tuition' is learning that not all toning is market desirable. To my eye none of them are pretty but I wish him well. We definitely need more new collectors/dealers coming in and shouldn't be bashing them right from the start.

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options

@Numiven said:
    Hey, I just mean it was too much to ask $175 and $125 for those coins and I also felt some subpar customer service when talking. Whats wong in saying that?

They're not your coins and therefore not yours to set the prices on. How many things are wrong with your thread? Lots, especially after you said the point was about "how grading opinion varies by the minute", and now admitting this.

If I'd been offered less than grading fees on those 2 coins I'd also pass and not give you the time of day either.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2017 4:25PM

@clarkbar04 are you the person who posted these coins? Chill man... have a good day.

rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options

@Numiven said:
    @clarkbar04 are you the person who posted these coins? Chill man... have a good day.

FWIW, you aren't either so I still don't see your point.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! How did you know that I was curious but too lazy to look them up?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the screen shot, I see no evidence of bragging anymore than anyone who posts a new purchase here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file