Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why we always check "junk silver" and i think it's time to assemble a set of Proof ASE's.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

First the ASE's --- I think with prices hovering around $30 for Proof ASE's in boxes/OGP that the time might be right to put together a Set. They have never been lower and the coins offer a nice rendition of a truly beautiful design. Does anyone agree with me on this or am I all alone???

Now, the junk silver. We purchase quite a bit from both dealers and collectors, large lots and small. We always search through it and have found nice coins from time to time. These range from a Proof 1939 Walker to enough BU Mercs and the few key date Roosevelt Dimes to offset the little higher price my boss will pay. Most recently we found a nice XF 1918 Merc and a 1909 Barber Half Dollar that grades high AU/MS.

The nicest find happened just yesterday while searching through the Dimes. We always look for nice early dates in F+ and later dates in AU+ along with anything else that stands out. We also look at every 1942 for the overdates and that's where we got lucky. We actually found a 1942/1-D that grades XF/AU with splotchy tone and a little luster. How is it that these can still be found???

Keep searching!!!

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is probably someone turning their house upside down looking for their 42/1-D.

You know what Archie Bunker said; "position is nine tenths of the law".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy and sell in bulk. My eyes are too tired to search anymore.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find...AU makes it a $500+ coin right?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the ASE's - Never for me. They are not a collectable coin to me. I would pay half spot and then sell.

On the searching junk silver - that is always worth while as your resent finds prove. It's hard to believe someone would sell a Barber Half in AU/MS for silver......WOW!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    First the ASE's --- I think with prices hovering around $30 for Proof ASE's in boxes/OGP that the time might be right to put together a Set. They have never been lower and the coins offer a nice rendition of a truly beautiful design. Does anyone agree with me on this or am I all alone???

Now, the junk silver. We purchase quite a bit from both dealers and collectors, large lots and small. We always search through it and have found nice coins from time to time. These range from a Proof 1939 Walker to enough BU Mercs and the few key date Roosevelt Dimes to offset the little higher price my boss will pay. Most recently we found a nice XF 1918 Merc and a 1909 Barber Half Dollar that grades high AU/MS.

The nicest find happened just yesterday while searching through the Dimes. We always look for nice early dates in F+ and later dates in AU+ along with anything else that stands out. We also look at every 1942 for the overdates and that's where we got lucky. We actually found a 1942/1-D that grades XF/AU with splotchy tone and a little luster. How is it that these can still be found???

Keep searching!!!

Al H.

I agree with you on the Silver Eagle Proofs.....not much downside I would think.
    AS far as junk silver, I have never had any luck finding anything, but a 42/1-D is something I would think any dealer would look for.
    Hell, I would just throw every 42 and 42-D in a jar and go through them when time permitted.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much for sharing this.
    I wasn't aware of this find.
    WOW is all I can say..........
    How this coin circulated as a dime for so long w/o being pulled is amazing!

• Options

the Heritage account makes sense, the sizes were so close that no one paid close enough attention to the reverse denomination. then again, maybe they didn't care and just used it as a Dime. looking at the coin it strikes me that it probably spent some time in the ground. depending on where it was and for how long could explain decades of why no one noticed. to be in a junk silver bag is pretty strange. even as an 1831 Dime in G with problems it should be worth $15-$20.

certainly more than melt. way to go for an observant collector.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 12:27PM

Junk silver is always a great place to search.
    I have found in Mercs:

1942/1 D in XF-45
       #2 1919 S in XF
      1921 P # 5 in G or G+
                   # in VG
       1921 D #3 in AG and one in G
                     and one in AG with a reverse scratch
       1926 S #3
        1931 S, #3, one  G, VG, and a F

and one time the better part of a short set [1941-1945] in unc.

Plus in Standing Lib quarters: 1921, now slabbed as a G-04
    1927 S = #4 pieces
    and others, that I don't remember

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you on both topics. I bought a lot of loose silver eagles recently and there happened to be a proof eagle in the lot. It was beat up but still.
    A year ago silver proofs with box and papers were going for $45+ now of you look hard enough you could get them for 28 or 30. I don't see much down side in them currently

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really pays to look if you have the time @keets :smile:
    And if you think about it....................we all have some **spare **time :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Great time to put together Proof ase

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 7:06PM

Will be a fun venture! Are you going to include the 95W?? What about the other reverse varities from a few years ago?

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

These range from a Proof 1939 Walker to enough BU Mercs and the few key date Roosevelt Dimes to offset the little higher price my boss will pay. Most recently we found a nice XF 1918 Merc and a 1909 Barber Half Dollar that grades high AU/MS.
    Al H.

Nice catch on the 42/1. What key date roosies are you looking for? Unless they're FB and 65+ I'm not aware of any keys...

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    I always said if I ever won the lottery, I'd probably take up junk silver searching as my new hobby.

Junk silver? Screw that. Go searching for junk platinum lol

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 95W was free back in 1995.

Larry

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go through the "junk" silver at the pawn shop every once in awhile, have found '09-O Barber coins on occasion.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    The 95W was free back in 1995.

Free with purchase of a 1995 gold eagle proof set, otherwise you could purchase a 1995-W Silver Eagle on the secondary market for a bargain price compared to today. The lowest price I recall seeing in ads was $265.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 42/1-D is an easy coin to miss. A friend found one in a bulk lot a few months ago. Another friend found a Cheerios dollar in a bulk lot more recently and my 1909 VDB MPL last year was from another bulk lot a friend bought a while ago. Bulk lots can and do really pay off.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

On Junk Silver searching, a quick story:

Took my young son/budding numismatist to the BRNA show in Dalton, GA a couple weeks back. He's a huge fan of SLQs. We have a complete set in decent shape, minus the 1916(I'm a working stiff).

Anyways, he buys(with my money) 3 rolls of SLQ "junk" from a dealer at barely over spot. We get home and he starts searching. Each roll contained a SLQ with no stars on the back.

While I'd love to report he found a 1916, we weren't that lucky. However, he did end up with 2x 1917-D Type 1s, and a 1917-S Type 1. Made the trip worth it just to see him giddy with joy at his treasure find.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tennbjj said:
    On Junk Silver searching, a quick story:

Took my young son/budding numismatist to the BRNA show in Dalton, GA a couple weeks back. He's a huge fan of SLQs. We have a complete set in decent shape, minus the 1916(I'm a working stiff).

Anyways, he buys(with my money) 3 rolls of SLQ "junk" from a dealer at barely over spot. We get home and he starts searching. Each roll contained a SLQ with no stars on the back.

While I'd love to report he found a 1916, we weren't that lucky. However, he did end up with 2x 1917-D Type 1s, and a 1917-S Type 1. Made the trip worth it just to see him giddy with joy at his treasure find.

Great story!

• Options
    edited September 1, 2017 8:32AM

**my 1909 VDB MPL last year was from another bulk lot **

when I first started to work for my boss back in 2008 he had me inventory/sort a huge Lincoln Cent collection, coins that were in folders/albums/tubes/rolls and even loose. the best find was a 1912 MPL that probably would have graded PR64BN but it had a faint obverse scratch. PCGS bb'd it.

it was still another nice coin anyway that collectors miss, dealers do too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collected proof ASE's up until they skipped a year.... still have them all... plus a '95W..... slabbed. Never had a chance to sort through bulk silver...sounds like fun.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file