Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Jefferson Nickel NEW BEARDED JEFFERSON VARIETY or Mint Error, DDO? Please give your thoughts

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few and have myself called them the bearded Jeff, actually there somewhat common in the early 60's at least I think so, I'd have to dig out my rolls and check, BUT I would like to know if anyone has an explanation as to it's cause

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very common in the late 1950s and 1960s.
    Probably die fatigue, as many coins were struck from worn out dies that were not properly prepared to begin with.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just die erosion. As mentioned, fairly common in that area in that time period.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die erosion was the term I was looking for....but I was too fatigued to come up with it!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting anomaly though..... I must pull out my bag of Jeffersons... worth putting one or two away. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents says that it might be caused by abraiding away a die clash. There is also evidence of abrasion in the hair area.

Just a thought. I have a beard and I abraid it all the time.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said: "My two cents says that it might be caused by abraiding away a die clash."

I disagree. Typical die deterioration due to wear. Polishing out a clash does not look like this.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Die erosion was the term I was looking for....but I was too fatigued to come up with it!

A little polishing should do the trick. ;)

Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file