Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone know what hallmark this is? I have 2 different rings here

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

A wild guess, and even though you didn't ask for a "mansplaining":

The silvery ring may be European, specifically German, where a standard alloy for silver in the last couple of hundred years was .800 or 80%.

The 10k ring bothers me, because anytime I see a "G" and an "F" next to each other after a karat marking, I automatically assume it's "Gold Filled". 10K is already the least desirable solid gold karat (at less than 42% pure, it's mostly something other than gold). The FG might well mean the manufacturer's initials, or catalog/item marking, or something else entirely. Or it might be "Filled Gold", in which case it's worthless.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could FG mean fine gold?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 7:55PM

I believe the FG stands for Fredrick Goldman Inc..... But I would test with acid anyway.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much. Could the silver ring be Georg jensen

• Options

And your other ring looks to be Silver.... I have never seen a European stamping of 80... Usually its 800... The ring look to me as middle eastern or Asian and I have seen Asian jewelry with the metal stamping as a % but usually they used higher purity.... I have bought Asian silver that was marked 100 and it was 99.9 Pure..... not sure on this one

• Options

the other ring is what they call a "poison ring" I would search google and eBay for that term and then see if you can find one that looks similar and go from there

• Options

the closer I look at the silver ring the more I don't like it.... the filigree work looks sloppy and I don't like the bumpy look to the inside of it..... Search for poison or snuff ring and rings with the twisted rope design and they pop up all over Etsy as being 1960's vintage pewter... I see tarnish on the ring so it appears it has a silver plating at the least but I would need to see it in hand to give you my best guess or recommend a non destructive test such as a metal analyzer of some sort.

• Options

the closer I look at the silver ring the more I don't like it.... the filigree work looks sloppy and I don't like the bumpy look to the inside of it..... Search for poison or snuff ring and rings with the twisted rope design and they pop up all over Etsy as being 1960's vintage pewter... I see tarnish on the ring so it appears it has a silver plating at the least but I would need to see it in hand to give you my best guess or recommend a non destructive test such as a metal analyzer of some sort.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'poison' ring looks like a modern copy... I could be wrong on that, just judging from the pictures.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver ring doesn't appear to be Jensen.

• Options

I got it along with this Georg Jensen jewelry
    NOTICE THE SIMILAR SILVER BALLS AS SEEN ON THE BROOCHES

• Options

IM ALSO CONFUSED ON THIS LOCKET AND CHAIN AS WELL AS THIS PIN AND A RING THAT ALSO CAME IN THE LOT.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had made your poison ring I would not have put my name on it either. Junk and maybe some silver is my impression. Crudely made and not of the stature of any real jewelry maker let alone Jensen.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stone in the ring looks like a fire opal... but if a junk ring, than probably not.... Cheers, RickO