Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many collections destroyed by Harvey?

Hate to think it but I am sure there is always attrition when disaster strikes.

Comments

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

the armed robbers and looters didnt get them?....pathetic, they shud be forced to fill sandbags then help with clean up and restoration of the community...vs..being put in an air conditioned jail cell...

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

I moved my cards out of my safety deposit box friday afternoon to be safe. was fortunate and it didn't matter (not in Hou), but have heard too many horror stories post Sandy and Katrina

• Options

i didnt think they were, but just to confirm--safety deposit boxes aren't water proof? hear of any of them?

• Options

@shu4040 said:
    I moved my cards out of my safety deposit box friday afternoon to be safe. was fortunate and it didn't matter (not in Hou), but have heard too many horror stories post Sandy and Katrina

friday? how many days did u have a heads up? did you move out of the city then, right away or wait a little bit? glad u and ur family are safe....unreal the reports and pics..just terrible...did san antonio get badly hit?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seebelow said:

@shu4040 said:
    I moved my cards out of my safety deposit box friday afternoon to Sbe safe. was fortunate and it didn't matter (not in Hou), but have heard too many horror stories post Sandy and Katrina

...did san antonio get badly hit?

San Antonio was spared any major damage. I live just NE of the city, and we got about 2.25" of rain in total from Harvey. We were right on the edge though, as 20 miles away in Seguin, they got about 11.5" of rain (still nothing compared to places south and east).

Steve

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 4:07PM

@SDSportsFan said:

@seebelow said:

@shu4040 said:
    I moved my cards out of my safety deposit box friday afternoon to Sbe safe. was fortunate and it didn't matter (not in Hou), but have heard too many horror stories post Sandy and Katrina

San Antonio was spared any major damage. I live just NE of the city, and we got about 2.25" of rain in total from Harvey. We were right on the edge though, as 20 miles away in Seguin, they got about 11.5" of rain (still nothing compared to places south and east).

Steve

Steve, ok thanks...i got some friends who live there and had a lot going on before the storm was even a thought so don't want to bother them and kind of been following on the internet
    thanks and glad to hear ur good news..stay dry and safe

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

safety deposit boxes are definitely not water proof. mine is like 12 inches off the ground on the first floor so was definitely exposed if it got bad. My area received fortunately "only" 10 inches of rain so no real flooding happened.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

@seebelow said:

@shu4040 said:

Steve

Hiya Steve

Where do you live?

I live off Blanco and 1604 - weather turned out to be a minimal problem - a few shrubs got bent over - that's about it.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was kind of frantic last week - our major supermarket got cleaned out of water and certain food items.

Having lived in the NE - NYC - and FLA - Tampa - I'm used to foul weather.

But, here in SA people panic easily which is a good thing since they're prepared for the worst.

I have family near Houston - and they're still without power. The amount of rainfall they got eclipses what SA gets in years!

Mike
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

All those safety deposit boxes under water.....

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I too was thinking about this, having lived in Clear Lake at one time with my collection nicely contained in monster boxes in the bookshelf of my ranch house. I know I have shipped a number of sales and trades over the years to Houston'ites. Praying that all are healthy and safe as they rebuild their lives from the horrific flooding.

Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received a padded envelope containing a card that was completely soaked and the PO had put it in a plastic bag with an apology letter. The card was fine inside, but it occurred to me it had come from TX. Not really the Houston area though, north of San Antonio and tracking says it went through Dallas.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Having survived this without major damage or taking water into my home, I will be investing in more Pelican cases for temporary storage during tropical events.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can just imagine all of the calls & emails that BGS must have received from collector's worrying about their cards sitting at the their grading location in Dallas wanting to know if Harvey made it that far.

• Options

I like a lot of the features of Pelican cases...but they're also water-proof?

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@seebelow said:

The case manufacturer actually uses the term water-tight, not water-proof. Sadly nothing is infallible and the case manufacturers would never risk the liability by using the word water-proof. They do use the word dust-proof, but when it comes to water they stop short of that level of protection. I can get the exact specs on how deep our Card Vault cases can be submerged before the seals "blow" and post them.

Dave
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@seebelow said:

The case manufacturer actually uses the term water-tight, not water-proof. Sadly nothing is infallible and the case manufacturers would never risk the liability by using the word water-proof. They do use the word dust-proof, but when it comes to water they stop short of that level of protection. I can get the exact specs on how deep our Card Vault cases can be submerged before the seals "blow" and post them.

I use pelican cases for expensive firearms and camera equipment. I have considered the brand for cards, but I do not have enough high end stuff yet for me to drop $$$ on additional cases. Correct, these are not water proof. However, they offer more protection than a safe deposit box or a cardboard box. Also, if you need to leave town, they are easy to carry, stack, and move...so take your best stuff with you vice going to a closed bank to get your valuables out during an evacuation.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Right, I wouldn't use them for any reason but to transport my cards and provide general protection from weather during transport. As I was contemplating evacuation, I was left to Rubbermaid tubs for the majority of my collection and was wanting for a sturdier means of transport.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com