Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Randy’L He-Dow Teton the only living person on a US Coin?

CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2017 4:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We recently had the opertunity to meet Randy’L He-Dow Teton at the 2017 Blue Ridge Numismatic Association Coin Show in Dalton Georgia. My daughter and her friend (both 13) really enjoyed attending the educational seminar, getting to meet Randy’L He-Dow Teton and even getting a photo with her.

The BRNA YN program is awesome, if you have a YN and can attend this event, I highly recommend it.

These girls had a great time at the show, in addition to helping out with the CoinZip table they also worked as porters for the BRNA.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures and a great experience for the girls....Thanks for showing us...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a great show and a great time, especially for the girls. Thanks to the BRNA and Randy'L for putting on such a nice YN program.

Is Randy’L He-Dow Teton the only living person on a US Coin?

Randy'L is the model for the golden dollar and I'm sure there are other ones. Nolan Ryan comes to mind. There's no law saying the model cannot be living.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 6:16AM

Nice post and images. I am not sure about persons living at the present time, but there have been a few who were alive at the time of coin & paper money production, not necessarily U.S. money.

George Washington (patterns)
    Thomas E. Kilby was the first living person, as such, to appear on an American coin.
    Calvin Coolidge on the 1926 sesquicentennial half dollar
    Sen. Carter Glass, a former Treasury secretary, on the Lynchburg, Va
    Sen. Joseph Robinson on the Arkansas commemorative
    Eunice Kennedy Shriver (1995)

I did not go through the entire article;

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=27486

@Zoins said:

Randy'L is the model for the golden dollar and I'm sure there are other ones. Nolan Ryan comes to mind. There's no law saying the model cannot be living.

Controversial at best;

"The Numismatic News article went on to note that if the design were in fact a specific representation of a single player, it would be in violation of a federal law that prohibits using a likeness of a living person on a U.S. coin, although living people have been depicted on earlier issues (President Coolidge on the 1926 Sesquicentennial half dollar, Senator Joseph Robinson on a 1936 half dollar, etc.)."

https://www.pcgs.com/books/silver-dollars/Chapter24Listings-023.aspx

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the still-living Alabama Governor Kirby was on his states's commem. the first to break this "tradition". IIRC it may have been a law that was ignored. I usually check Google before I respond, but your disappointment will fade........

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I was thinking of Nolan Ryan, as well, although he was more of an unwitting model for the coin. Are there other known people who have actually modeled, not simply had a previous photograph repurposed, for the design of a modern coin?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say EUNICE KENNEDY SHRIVER but I just googled her and she passed August 11, 2009 :'(

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is actually a law! By an 1866 Act of Congress, no living person can be portrayed on U.S. coins or currency.

Gov Kilby 1921 Alabama centennial
    and Ryan Dollar was Nolan

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Randy’L He-Dow Teton is not on a coin. She was the model for the Sacajawea dollar. Some might think this is splitting hairs, but I don't think so. She MAY be the only living model for a US coin. I'm not sure about that.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is called a Sacajawea for a reason not a Randy'l.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question can be broken into two very different issues.

-1. Are there any living people who were used as models for a US coin.?

-2. Are there any living people who were honored on a US coin?

For the second, I am not aware of anyone currently living who is honored on a US coin. Nolan Ryan would not count as he did not intentionally model for the generic pitcher image (it appears to have been likely copied without permission). He also was not specifically honored on the coin. Eunice Kennedy Shriver was the last honored on a coin.

For the first, I am not aware of details regarding all the modern designs on commems, state quarters, Sac dollar reverses, etc. Have not heard of any other living models. Unless someone else has, the answer to the original poster's question may well be yes, Randy’L He-Dow Teton is the only living person (model or honored) on a US coin.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 5:36PM

I count Nolan Ryan. His image was selected and used. This isn't very different from how the Mint selected a plaster image of Randy'L submitted by Goodacre. Many people even call his coin the Nolan Ryan dollar. Check out the following by PCGS/PSA:

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a thread going over on CoinTalk discussing this very topic.

In short, it is NOT a law that coins cannot bear the image of a living person. The oft-cited law from April 1866 applies to paper currency, not to coins.

Provided, That no portrait or likeness of any living person hereafter engraved, shall be placed upon any of the bonds, securities, notes, fractional or postal currency of the United States.

Source: Statutes at Large, 39th Congress, Sess I, Ch 28, page 25 (April 7, 1866).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brandon, "securities" would be coins

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 3:33PM

Randy is a model.

Are the models who appeared on the Morgan and Peace dollars illegal?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Brandon, "securities" would be coins

Not true. Look it up in a legal dictionary.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The point is well taken that models are not the people depicted on the coins they modeled for, and that Randy L'Teton is not shown on the Sacagawea dollar. Sacagawea is.

Nancy Reagan almost made it. She died 3-6-16, and her First Spouse gold coin came out July 1, 2016.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another thing....

Assuming there is a law that no living person can appear on a coin, a subsequent law can supersede or suspend that provision for a particular issue.

In any case, I agree tha5 the Sac dollar shows Sacagawea. Randy'L was the model.

Another example that I don't think was mentioned: the Olympic issues from the 1990s used real Olympic athletes as models for the torso sculptures on one of the coins.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

And personally, I'd rather have them use a live person as a model than a dead one.

Perhaps after the zombie apocalypse...

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    And personally, I'd rather have them use a live person as a model than a dead one.

Perhaps after the zombie apocalypse...

Reminds me of the place that used to be by LAX, with a big neon sign, "Live Nude Girls".

Guess that's better than the alternative.... ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file