Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New British Copper Pattern

Found this at the local show today in England. Finest graded.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

When was it made?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    When was it made?

I don't have a copy of English Silver Coinage from 1649 but I believe the variety to be either 204, 205 or 206 but as I cannot see the edge due to the holder, it is tough to tell. All seem to be R4-R5.

Not completely clear on the date of manufacture but from the Newman description below one would think around 1811... I can find a few examples: one PR65 in Goldbergs, a CRO PR65 from the Morten & Eden's sale of the Boulton estate, and Eric Newman had one plus there are one or two other in the HA archives. This piece is on record as the only 66 at PCGS and NGC has graded one 66BN. From the census there are quite a few out there, generally clustered in the 63BN-65BN range.

From the Newman description:
    Made for the Bank of England during the Napoleonic Wars. This is one of a variety of suggested denominations that were all abandoned after the war's conclusion, when the normal Crown was made again for George III in 1818.

From the CRO archive: coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=archive&task=det_item&item_id=3512

• Options

that's cool

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A fascinating and beautiful coin.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fabulous find!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Very nice!

My copy of ESC (the revision by Maurice Bull) suggests this is ESC-206 (ESC-1996 in the new numbering system), with a rarity rating of "Scarce." The obverse marker is that George's wreath contains five berries, and the reverse marker is that the tip of the wreath stem points upward. ESC-204 has six berries in George's wreath, whereas ESC-205 appears to refer to the silver issue. This is my only version of the book, so I don't know whether this information is completely consistent with previous revisions. This issue apparently also comes in several different flan thicknesses.

• Options
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin! Congrats :+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

I am actually more impressed with how my photos came out. Thanks to @mercurydimeguy for the continued tips.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I am actually more impressed with how my photos came out. Thanks to @mercurydimeguy for the continued tips.

I was going to comment on your nice image...thank you for the nice mention :blush:

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I'll have to touch base with Mercury Dime Guy for photo tips myself. Image came out great here!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was in the HA NYINC sale last week.

I was so close to bidding on it, but needed to keep the powder dry for SB.

Still a lovely coin.

• Options

I seemingly priced it right as it sold at auction for the same price that CRO sold it at on memo.

That is probably my favorite find at the British shows during my time in England. I came back from that show on a high!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any idea why it has such an odd denomination? Did the amount fulfill some special purpose?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Do you have any idea why it has such an odd denomination? Did the amount fulfill some special purpose?

It’s a pattern so a suggested but never monetized denomination

From the HA auction
    George III copper Proof Pattern Bank of England 5 Shillings and 6 Pence 1811 PR66 Red and Brown PCGS, ESC-206 (R3). "Wreath" variety. Produced by the Bank of England during the Napoleonic wars, this was one of a variety of suggested denominations that were all abandoned after the war's conclusion, when the normal Crown was made again for George III in 1818. Produced to a simply outstanding degree of quality, this offering has surfaces of deep mahogany with only the lightest handling in line with its certification; not only has it been assigned a premium gem level grade, but its holder is the older 'green label' PCGS type which is known to have been stricter than present standards. Accordingly, who knows what grade this piece would receive were it resubmitted? With flawless detail to the iconic reverse wreath and an overall breathtaking eye appeal, a wonderful pattern for a coin which never was and a piece deserving of placement within an elite collection.