Home U.S. Coin Forum

2017 ASE Labels & Labels in General

ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2017 9:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is it just me or does anyone else think that they have gotten way out of control with all of the ASE Labels and all other labels on all of the other modern coins in general? Just for the 2017 year on the ASE coins, there are 40 W, 19 S, 41 P and 13 (W) labels for a total of 113 different labels on just this years ASE coins. I guess a person could just collect this years coins and take them awhile to complete a set if that is what someone wanted to do but would need to just about have to take a small (maybe large) loan to collect them all. I started to collect some but then pretty much stopped when I couldn't keep up with all of them and it really started to get confusing and started to cost quite a bit as well. Does anyone else think that the Dealers and TPG's have gotten out of control with this or is it just me? What are some of your thoughts on these?

Comments

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't need any stinking fancy labels.
    I only have one it's signed by Steve Carton, my favorite pitcher.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just a marketing ploy and one that apparently works. If it didn't work they would have stopped doing it a long time ago.

Will anyone care about these labels 10-20 years down the road? Only time will tell but I have my doubts.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you collecting coins or labels?

Since I collect coins, most labels are meaningless to me. Now, if I'm slabbing a coin that has a special label made for it, I tend to get that label, but I've never entombed a coin just to get a particular label.

Now, why is it that after I've typed "label" a half-dozen times, it looks like it's spelled wrong... :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Labels? I don't need no stinkin' labels..... :D I know some collectors like labels, I just like coins... not slabs, not tarnish, not provenance, just the coin. That is why I also have a lot of raw coins.
    @BackroadJunkie ....'Label' looks wrong because of 'table' and 'able'.... :D Cheers, RickO

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 4:47AM

I like free range chickens and coins. The only ASE coin in a cage/slab out of my complete ASE collection ( except ricko's 1995 W) is the ms70 2017 congrat set.

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I am with ya. Its outa control.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my fav of the year. Gotta get me one! :joy:

The more you VAM..
  • ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

lmao Damn, that is one that didn't count and exactly, it's become a joke!

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I think it's sad how its hard to get YN's to the hobby today and then they go and do something like this with all of the labels. I know that if I was new, I would have quit already, hell, I've been buying and selling coins for over 25 years and have just about all of the ASE's and started to buy the labeled one's when they first started and then it got to be very confusing and costing a hell of a lot, so now I am very selective in what I buy today. I believe that a lot of people that are new to the hobby today do it mostly for investment purposes and invest in these coins and then watch them go down in price quite a bit and once that happens a few times, they are done with the hobby. I know a couple of people that have done that. It really is sad that it's happening.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 words. Mar-ke-ting.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 2:42PM

Crazy! I see no point in collecting ASE (except 1995w) as they are avilable in large numbers in pr70/69. I also dont see any reason why some are 69 and some are 70 and the crazy price bump between them!

Full disclosure: started this in 09, i have put together a 86-present ASE proof set with all anniversary sets included, all ngc 69 (some 70) and sort of feeling I wasted my money! I am continuing, just because I started it.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file