Home U.S. Coin Forum

2016 Congratulations set

OK...I am a relatively old man, but only a collector for the last 10. Why do I find myself amused when I watch these TV coin shows? Anyway...I am watching some used car salesman pitching the 2016 congratulations set on HSN. I am staggered by the $1,500.00 asking price. Am I missing something. Is not the coin in this set higher mintage than what they say? I know the congrats set is limited in mintage...but the coin is the coin...right?

Comments

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the same thing. It's a label game. Big Hype Only. I have no idea why anyone would buy into this hype.

Buy the Coin, Not the Label.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those hucksters on TV are used car salesmen that flunked out of sales school....I cannot even bear to watch them. Tried to once, made me so angry I had to turn the TV off. Cheers, RickO

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completed eBay sales and auction are all over the place, with some close to that $1500 number. Its hard saying what the coin is really worth.

The man on HSN sure can pitch a coin ; I'll give him that. Hell I've even been tempted to pick up the phone :D Was at the B& M the other day, and the old school shop owner was joking about the same thing. "I almost bought a BU O mint from the guy. He said they are rare"

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see, I got skunked in the initial offering so bought one in the aftermarket at 69 dollars. Looks choice!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 11:19AM

2016 W edge lettered 30th Anniversary Proof is included in the Congratulations set, the Reagan coin and chronicles set and as an individual offer. Who cares what package it came in...the coin is the coin. If I had one I would flip it now too, because it is certain to return to the $100 value it is really worth. (You can put lipstick on a pig...)

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

Is is true only ~6000 were minted?

Don't quote me on that.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I have to provide a certificate saying who or what I am "congratulating" before I can buy a set? ;)

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

Only ~6000 in the Congratulations Set packaging, but many more of the 2016 Silver Proof Eagles were available in the regular boxes and the Reagan C&C Sets.

Actually, closer to 450,000 2016-W 30th Anniversary Proofs were minted over all product lines.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Who cares what package it came in...the coin is the coin. > >

Maybe you should research the 2006-W ASE MS70 price and then the MS-70 2006-W ASE from the 20th Annie set before you comment

BigA...maybe you can help this novice out. what's the mintage of the 2006-W? Is it more or less than the 2016-W? In my short collecting life, most experienced collectors tell me buy the coin, not the label... are there exceptions to this?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB said:
    I saw the same thing. It's a label game. Big Hype Only. I have no idea why anyone would buy into this hype.

I get a kick out of the coins slabbed with the "provenance" "Birth Set."
    I thought that was a slang term used by plastic surgeons to describe the "before" pictures.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    BigA...maybe you can help this novice out. what's the mintage of the 2006-W? Is it more or less than the 2016-W? In my short collecting life, most experienced collectors tell me buy the coin, not the label... are there exceptions to this?

Which 2006W? The proof had a mintage of 1.1 million (give or take a few), the uncirc 467K.
    The 2016W is still currently on sale, and has a mintage of 568,781. The uncirc 203,029. (The proof number does not include the Congrats set, the LE Silver set, the Reagan C&C and whatever other set they came in.)

Note that the 2006 20th anniversary set had a mintage of 248,875, and is included in the total above. HOWEVER, unless the 20th anniversary sets were sent into the TPG's still sealed in boxes from the mint, they would not get the 20th label, since the coin had been released earlier in the year as a solo. So the 2006W ASE proof may have an artificially low population.

(I've got 10 sets of the 20th, and cannot prove 20 of the coins in those sets came with those sets. That's what got me started slabbing coins in the first place, to prove lineage.)

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 2:35AM

@mannie gray said:

@JazzmanJAB said:

I get a kick out of the coins slabbed with the "provenance" "Birth Set."
    I thought that was a slang term used by plastic surgeons to describe the "before" pictures.

While I generally agree with this. If you remove the coin from the container it came in, can you tell it apart from the rest of the population? No? No sale for me.

HOWEVER, there are certain sets where the I feel the label is an important part of identifying the lineage. For instance the 20th, 25th, SF and WP ASE sets...

Well, yes I own all of those. :D (I added that part for full disclosure...)

• On 9/22 this 2016-W Silver Eagle Congratulations set coin, with a limited edition label by ANACS amd graded PR70, sold on Ebay for $1875.00 and a PCGS FDOI PR70 sold for $3425.00. In addition, the so called "Used Car Salesman on HSN" sold out all of the ANACS graded 2016-W Congratulations PR70 coins at a price of $1999.95. Given that the mintage for the 2016-W Congratulations Set Silver Eagle was only 5966, this special label coin seems to have some legs. I guess time will tell if this increased value is real, or a short lived labelling hype. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file