Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

In case you don't subscribe to World Coin News...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 21, 2017 1:30PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Take a moment to consider the state of our hobby in light of their decision to start accepting full page ads for alternatives to the "Little Blue Pills".

I kid you not.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Headache, stomach upset, back pain, muscle pain, stuffy nose, flushing, or dizziness may occur if bids are not successful in the Sept auction.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭

Pitiful

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 1:27AM

It could reflect the state of their top publisher, F&W, rather than the coin hobby.

F+W has undergone numerous ownership and financial restructures over the last eighteen years. The old corporate leveraged buyout game? One might think so.

KP has not been the old Krause Publications for years and years now.

P.S. There us an internet offer out there today, all five of the most recent Standard Catalogs of World Coins (two brand spanking new, the other three were New last year) for $160. Postpaid.

Actually, I thought that issue of WCN was pretty well put together.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't shock me. Just flip past the ad, doesn't affect anything.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheRaven said:
    Doesn't shock me. Just flip past the ad, doesn't affect anything.

hogwash, you in denial, we all need some alternative options at some point for some reason :# waiting for more print ads for breakfast cereals...anyone see my glasses dang its Friday gotta run to bingo guys.....

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many did you order?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really mind if they run ads like that, but I'd feel differently if I were an advertiser. I figure that whatever credibility a coin advertiser gets by being in the paper, it's significantly reduced when the ad run alongside ads for little blue pills.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I think F+W also has a sewing/embroidery magazine. Will those middle aged and little old ladies buy fewer or more alt-blue pills than the coin collectors?

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

As long as they pay their bills and don't stiff the publisher, it shouldn't be too hard to just turn the page.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they are about to market some type of medal commemorating the creation of the little blue pill! I could think of lots of entertaining designs! >:)

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Maybe they are about to market some type of medal commemorating the creation of the little blue pill! I could think of lots of entertaining designs! >:)

I'm sure Karl Goetz could have come up with a few.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

More like the Royal Canadian Mint or the Pobjoy Button Factory could "come up" with a series.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

They can build on the 1972 Weenie Dollar design, keeping the old design as the obverse and the new "after" design on the reverse ...

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering who would bring up the Cook Island dollar first.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    I was wondering who would bring up the Cook Island dollar first.

Yeah! They could do an Obv. before the pill and a Rev. after the pill!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 5:33AM

@MrEureka said:
    I don't really mind if they run ads like that, but I'd feel differently if I were an advertiser. I figure that whatever credibility a coin advertiser gets by being in the paper, it's significantly reduced when the ad run alongside ads for little blue pills.

Yes, but what choice does an advertiser have? Switch to the Numismatist, if he doesn't already advertise there too. It's as important as we make it to be, and CIVITAS isn't actually wrong ( "they know their demographics") even if his comment strikes as humorous at first.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the state of the hobby or the state of people who still read news of any kind in (physically) printed form?

:naughty:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the blue look "natural?"
    ;)

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got my Sept issue.

Besides blue pill alts, I was thrilled to find a full pager on the cell of my dreams. A jitterbug cell phone replete with large keypad, and a speaker switch plus they can program for me my most used numbers AND if I have an emergency I can press a button that is all RED. I am in all my glory.

I then quickly went on to peruse this issue and happily looking forward to Goldberg's June 6-7 ('17...I kid you not) of a cool British collection..I plan to bid on the Cromwell crown which is a 64PL..using the new cell phone which I should get in due time.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same ads appeared in the September issue of Bank Note Reporter (another former KP publication that is now part of the F&W conglomerate).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said: "I don't really mind if they run ads like that, but I'd feel differently if I were an advertiser. I figure that whatever credibility a coin advertiser gets by being in the paper, it's significantly reduced when the ad run alongside ads for little blue pills."

Ever look in the back of Road & Track or Car & Driver? Much more than just pills. Even the American Rifleman has coin ads. I'll start to worry when the Numismatist has ads for Russian wives.