Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*EDITED* CANON CAMERA FOR PHOTOGRAPHING COINS.

Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2017 10:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am looking to buy a Canon T7I camera. Just curious if anyone has used this camera for coin photography? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a great strategy for getting your question answered.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to figure out how to charge the battery on a Nikon DSLR camera. Then I might learn to use it. I can't find the cord. All that said, we are having a total eclipse of the sun, today. And on that note, let me be the first to wish you a happy Dark Side of the Moonday, so to speak. Anyway, YES is the answer. CAC coins are more photogenic than non graded specimens in different holders. But you would have to see it to believe it. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is a Canon T71 camera?? Last I heard of Canon cameras was the AE1.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 12:40PM

Canon T7i . But this post belongs on the Buy, Sell, & Trade Forum.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I'm still trying to figure out how to charge the battery on a Nikon DSLR camera. Then I might learn to use it. I can't find the cord. All that said, we are having a total eclipse of the sun, today. And on that note, let me be the first to wish you a happy Dark Side of the Moonday, so to speak. Anyway, YES is the answer. CAC coins are more photogenic than non graded specimens in different holders. But you would have to see it to believe it. :)

My Nikon charges when I hook up to my computer and the on/off button lights up and flashes until charged. Not yours?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Canon T7i is a decent DSLR camera (24MP) and should be great for coin imaging...with appropriate lens and lighting

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lighting and stand are almost as critical to coin photography as the camera and the right lens are.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 2:33PM

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 is all you need, with a nice Macro Lens, and some good lighting. I don't see the need to spend T7i money if it's just for coins, but if you have other uses, the T7i is a nice camera.

PS. Disclaimer I use the SL1...here's a recent image using a Canon 100mm Macro Lens if you are curious about quality

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

I own several DSLRs, get a latest and cheap DSLR body and invest money on top quality lenses and lighting etc.
    With the proper lens and lighting, most cannon DSLRs will provide a the same results.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Here is a image I took using a cheap cannon EOS 1300D DSLR - I believe this is enough quality for most purposes.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can spend a lot of money on cameras and lenses. I have three Nikon cameras and many lenses. Just bought a new Nikon D750 and it's a true monster. It's gonna take me some time to figure out all the bells and whistles on this one. But I love photography so there's that .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Canon G9. Fine for what I need.

Ken

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually recommend folks get a used Canon Rebel XS. They will produce photos of essentially equal image quality compared with a T7i when viewed at a size that fits on your monitor, and you can pick one up for <$150.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy....That is a very nice picture of that Peseta..... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file