edited August 20, 2017 8:16PM

Brandon Kelley from Anaconda

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell you all one thing
    It's not me!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it matter? There are a BUNCH of people taking very nice photos these days. The results today are so much nicer than years ago. Some of it comes down to taste and preference. We have several here who are great. Tom Bush, Mark Goodman (he literally wrote the book), Lance (lkegewin), Phil (it's a real feat to maintain quality and turn huge volumes) .... and I know I'm forgetting most of them. No offense!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll just say that the money I pay Todd @blu62vette comes back to me 10 fold or more on the coins I sell and I have yet to have a buyer return a coin or say it was misrepresented. Time for some GoT now :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 8:37PM

There are so many good photographers, each with their own style. MessyDesk, Blu62vette, Keigwin, robec, airplanenut, TomB, and even Kryptonitecomics (before he went rogue) come to mind. Non forum members include Phil Arnold and Mark Goodman.

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Does it matter? There are a BUNCH of people taking very nice photos these days. The results today are so much nicer than years ago. Some of it comes down to taste and preference. We have several here who are great. Tom Bush, Mark Goodman (he literally wrote the book), Lance (lkegewin), Phil (it's a real feat to maintain quality and turn huge volumes) .... and I know I'm forgetting most of them. No offense!

Those are my "Four Horsemen" as well. I would also add messydesk to the list.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

No question Lance is the best.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 10:15PM

Like others, I don't think there is a single best photographer, but there are a lot of very good ones with different skills, styles and inclinations. The ones mentioned are all good.

Many of the photographers mentioned are still active, but one I miss is Brandon Kelley. He runs his own store now, Best of Yesterday Collectibles, but he does not appear to be very active:

http://bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com/category.asp?cat=all

Here's his photo the Sirna Moose which I'll always remember. His standouts for me include a few other Morgans and the pink toned Saint.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 10:53PM

Yes, also Messydesk, Robec, airplane nut, spacehayduke, Todd, and certainly others.

Not ricko, well, maybe....... never seen his work. ;)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some VERY good photographers mentioned.
    Some things to think about:

Some are better at certain types of coins (silver vs copper, untoned vs toned, raw vs slabbed).

To me, some over expose, or use way too much lighting or post-production "adjustments" and others leave it as it comes out of the camera. I prefer a photo that looks like the coin, but even that is touchy as sometimes you may want a straight on shot vs a slanted/lit shot (for toned coins or really showing luster).

So, rather than get into a "this person is better than that person", I always look at the pics that are shown and make my own judgment call based on what you like. Some don't like what Phil (PCGSPhoto) does, but I like his shots. He has always done an excellent job on the ones I have sent to PCGS for photoing (other than a couple toned SAEs that I had to get reimbursed for as they were forgotten to be photo'ed when I sent them in and were already in the return mail before I got a notice that that order was done :( )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    By representing actual color, luster
    And proper lighting

Paul Houck aka Shylock

Whats the purpose?

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The awesome thing is all these great coin photographers are nice people, gladly share techniques and also care about your coins.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numiven said:

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    By representing actual color, luster
    And proper lighting

Paul Houck aka Shylock

Whats the purpose?

...maybe to get better deal from Paul's competitors...I never had much luck negotiating a lower vig from any Shylock I crossed paths with ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin photography displayed here on the forum is amazing - and there are many top notch photographers as indicated above. Photography itself is subject to an array of nuances in lighting, color, angles etc. So a picture is a created product, not always representative of the subject 'in hand'. Just as pictures of lovely ladies, they may be enhanced. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Utility might be the key attribute. The best will be able to adjust technique to respond the the use of the photo. Further, they will be able to duplicate this because physical principles they understand the physical principles behind light and camera/lens technology.

Thus, the "best" can photograph a coin for maximum detail, then repeat to emphasize some desired aspect such as luster.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on "what" you want imaged. Each one has their own gifts, I don't think that there is one "best" imager.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 9:12AM

Some of the best coin photographers out there do not photograph other peoples coins.

They do photograph their own coins for sale to maximize profits on their inventory.

They do buy coins with horrible photos on the internet and then bring them in house to rephotograph and then resell, a very profitable venture.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 10:16AM

In regards to who is the best, I would think that is totally personal preference. I have used Todd for all my images for the past few years and it's not just his photography (which is FANTASIC) but also it's the ease of working with him. I'm not a high volume dealer, but every show I go to he treats me the same with my 20-30 coins as someone who has 400 coins to photograph. I personally think he is the best and I plan to work with him for many many years to come.

I will agree there are some amazing photographers out there though. I can't take a good coin image to save my life even with the right equipment. Finding someone like Todd was a great blessing IMHO!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    There are so many good photographers, each with their own style. MessyDesk, Blu62vette, Keigwin, robec, airplanenut, TomB, and even Kryptonitecomics (before he went rogue) come to mind. Non forum members include Phil Arnold and Mark Goodman.

A few years back, Shane consigned some of my toners to Heritage. Luckily they allowed him to provide his own pics. In all honesty a few of them were more colorful than I remembered.

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

IMO, there are to many categories to have one overall, all encompassing photographer, No one is the best at everything.
    for example, micro photography, full photo, toning, color, B&W, silver, copper
    I have seen some that no one could touch in their specialty, some would could turn a brown coin into red with the proper lighting. Lately I have been very impressed with PCGS Coinfacts in the amount of clear detail with their photos.
    I remember seeing and impressed with the ANS photographer, incredible detail.

Kevin

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used a few and results are impressive. Couldn't tab one as "the best" for reasons described above.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd is highly recommended.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options

@ianrussell
    Ian, I'm curious....do you use Todd, or someone in-house, or a combination of in-house/external photography for coins you have on GC?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

We actually had a contest a while ago, with a pretty purple/green toned Morgan Dollar that was shipped from one person to another. It became more about style rather than contest of "better/worse"...it's a bit like art, some like look "a" some like look "b", and so on.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    @ianrussell
    Ian, I'm curious....do you use Todd, or someone in-house, or a combination of in-house/external photography for coins you have on GC?

Raeleen does all the photography at GC (she is my favorite by the way, Todd is second). Todd trained Raeleen back in 2010 or 2011.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 12:13PM

@mercurydimeguy said:
    We actually had a contest a while ago, with a pretty purple/green toned Morgan Dollar that was shipped from one person to another. It became more about style rather than contest of "better/worse"...it's a bit like art, some like look "a" some like look "b", and so on.

But how many actually looked like the coin? With some exposure NPI, one can readily identify a photographer just from the pic/s they post.

Also with practice, one can learn how to read another person's/site's pic and get a feel for what the coin really looks like. possible to score smoe bargains that way.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

For accuracy in most coins I would throw Mike Printz @FinallyHere into the mix. I think there are many people who take amazing pictures within different specialties, dark copper, toned copper, toned silver, etc... but for surfaces and luster, Mike.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Through the slab = Robec @ robecsimages.com
    Out of the slab = Phil at PCGS Trueview

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 2:39PM

Lance, Phil, TomB, and Jenna @ DWN are my personal favorites...

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Numiven - my true purpose is to weed out photographers whose images misrepresent coins
    Todd blu 62 Bette is a hell of a photographer

However the disturbing image that comes to mind is the 14d in 66+ red that was represented on the Heritage web site a a dull off color coin. The misrepresentation came from the coin facts
    Web site to change the color and luster.
    I remember not to long ago when some images were photo shopped. Some of the early Goldberg and stacks catalogs had colors of coins unimaginable.

I think it is good for us to brag about photographers that we like and use and why

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 3:47PM

Lance, @lkeigwin is unquestionably the best I have ever seen. If you want to capture how a coin truly looks, he is your man. Just look below! It is not easy to capture a full slab shot that looks as good as the coin only. In fact, I think it is impossible, except for Lance.

-

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭

Todd has done some incredible work for me. He also is very good to work with.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options

@ianrussell said:

@Bochiman said:
    @ianrussell

Raeleen does all the photography at GC (she is my favorite by the way, Todd is second). Todd trained Raeleen back in 2010 or 2011.

• Ian

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file