Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brass Plated 83 P Lincoln

Got this in a roll back in the 80"s.


Forgot I had it. Was once was lost now is found .Thought I would share my curiosity :)

photo index.gif

Comments

  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

    I was able to find these in my area now and then in the late 80's. There are several years these are known.

    this link shows some http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm

  • Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

    It would grade around a 65...so $40-50.Not worth sending in I guess :neutral:

    photo index.gif

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I did not realize (darn, I do not know everything - guess I am not an expert) these were 'official' mint products....I seem to recall seeing one or two... just thought they were science experiments. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 8:55PM
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

    I read eons ago the brass plated blanks were for a token the mint was manufacturing for a company like a casino and these blanks found there way into regular cent production. I don't have any idea if its true or myth though.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SamByrd said:
    I read eons ago the brass plated blanks were for a token the mint was manufacturing for a company like a casino and these blanks found there way into regular cent production. I don't have any idea if its true or myth though.

    Interesting. I didn't know the Mint was striking tokens for outside companies then. Do they do this today?

  • Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

    Supposedly the Mint outsourced the planchets in 83 and the company that made them for the Mint also made planchets for a company like Aladdin gaming machines or a foreign country. A few got mixed in and there is a SOLID BRASS 83-D cent.Mine is a plated Zinc cent that was contaminated during the annealing process.I can see the bubbles in the plating.
    http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/latest-copper-1983-d-cent-mystery

    photo index.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file