Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin shops in Paris

worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2017 4:38PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

On the last day of my vacation, I was walking the area around my hotel in the Paris Opera district and stumbled on a street of coin shops. Anybody been through these before? The street was Rue Vivienne across from the Hard Rock Cafe. It was after hours on Sat evening so unfortunately I did not get a chance to visit any. I guess my timing was all off but here are some pics of the street. There were also about 12 stamp stores in the area and a couple of vintage post card shops also. Seems like an area I would enjoy.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there, a big coin street. Even bought a 5F piece for the experience. Enjoy!

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Trip was wonderful but my timing was off. I strolled down this street on Sat evening and left Paris on a flight back home on Sunday early am. Maybe next time.....

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2017 9:34PM

Rue Vivienne from Boulevard Montmartre (North East End) down to the Paris Bourse (Stock Exchange) (South east limit) has lots of coin shops. Their good stuff mostly ISN'T in the windows. There was a bank or bureau de change across from the Bourse that did have some pretty nice historic French gold coins in their window. I bought ten 5 Francs coins (mostly Louis Phillipe) from one gentleman on the north east end of the street but nothing very memorable. The gentleman was polite and smiled at my weak spoken French. It was all rather sedate. There were some sorry looking elderly beggars in the vicinity. They struck me as Gypsies or eastern European and doubtful.

IIRC, on that occasion (2007) we were in Paris in August right during the week that most Parisians were filtering back from their month-long Summer holidays. This affected whether or not any shop, of any kind, was open. There are also some good book sellers in a covered passage way near the intersection of the Rue Vivienne and Boulevard Montmartre, the kind of places that sell interesting remainder books and new old stock. My wife and daughter were rather more interested in the Hard Rock Cafe and its souvenir shop - we had to eat there and visit the souvenir shop more than once.

Dud I say how much I despise the spellchecker on this forum?

P.S. Those photos are good and they tend to show more and better coins on window display than I remember.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Boosibri - that post must have slid right past me since it was on the US forum! That is a great narrative on your visit. Thanks for posting.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    Boosibri - that post must have slid right past me since it was on the US forum! That is a great narrative on your visit. Thanks for posting

I have done a few of those in 2014-2015 but after being here for awhile I neglected to write similar reports or I have become less of an idiot and therefore maybe there would be less entertaining. Regardless I'll post them again in the future perhaps tied to Coinex in September or a trip to Spin this weekend if I get around to do any coin hunting. The vineyards in Rioja sounds more fun though!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there, done that. Bought bunches of 50FF and 100FF silver coins because they had all been demonetized and were selling for under face value - ie melt value.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21