Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Vicky Farthing set - all MS at last!

Rather amusing. I bought an 1852 farthing, and tried to cross it over from NGC - DNC. So I sent it again as a crackout, and it crossed over to the original grade (it should have before anyway). That piece completes the farthing set. I'm not done though, there are some pretty sad looking pieces in the set I'd like to upgrade.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin. Once tried to cross an ACG? MS63RD 1901 Penny. Didn't cross. Cracked it out, sent it in, came back MS64RD. I would never send in a World coin to PCGS for crossing. Always crack it out.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I would second that!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful coin!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    Nice looking coin. Once tried to cross an ACG? MS63RD 1901 Penny. Didn't cross. Cracked it out, sent it in, came back MS64RD. I would never send in a World coin to PCGS for crossing. Always crack it out.

I cannot agree on the always part. Cracking a coin out always carries a risk, and I've seen some pretty disappointed crackers of very valuable coins over the years.

I have a farthing set too, all MS, most RD and PCGS but it's a 1917-1956. B)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@ajaan said:

I cannot agree on the always part. Cracking a coin out always carries a risk, and I've seen some pretty disappointed crackers of very valuable coins over the years.

I have a farthing set too, all MS, most RD and PCGS but it's a 1917-1956. B)

I agree - I've had my share of disappointments in the crackout game, but I've also had successes. I almost never do crossovers now unless they do a quarterly special incentive. Reason for that is my submissions are small in size and I don't want multiple shipping and handing fees adding up.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

As for the cross-over discussion - I've had a number of cases where PCGS would DNC the coin only to grade it when submitted raw, but also some cases where they would indicate a details grade on a raw coin and then crossed it without any issues once NGC straight-graded it. At the end of the day, trust your own judgment.