Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's 2017 DENVER ANA WORLD'S FAIR OF MONEY SHOW w/tons of Pics! (9/4/17 2nd TSA Update)

2»

Comments

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone, once again, for all the very kind comments! I was off line yesterday for a couple reasons: first, the hubby and I were on the boat most of the day - this was the first time we've taken it out since his accident last year!

Also, since we don't have the internet at our place here in Havasu, I used up all my regular high speed data uploading all the photos when I prepared this report so my data plan automatically converted to very low speed. So then I couldn't load all the photos whenever I opened this thread!! Ironic, isn't it! I called AT&T today and upgraded my plan to unlimited data and I'm back up to speed, so to speak!

To answer some of your questions:

• I was advised that filing a complaint directly with the TSA will do little good, so I plan to make a complaint directly with my congressman when I get back home. I know what Nina and I experienced can be an issue for any coin collector, so I do think it is important that I pursue this. I will post any response I get.

• The Matte Proof Exhibit was done by Carl Waltz. He won first in class (twice I believe) for this very thoroughly researched exhibit on Matte Proof Lincoln cent varieties.

• I updated my report with some of the names I had left out that you folks provided.

• I corrected Neil's name (I don't know why I spelled it incorrectly this time!)

• I updated my Facebook profile to include Penny (and my new grandson!).

Again, thank you for all your support of me and my show reports throughout the years. Your comments and appreciation brings a smile to my face and warms my heart, and it makes putting these reports together enjoyable for me.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, Charmy, and congrats on the award! As usual you were busy at your table (not a bad thing!) when I went by. We did have a great time at the ANACS happy hour, and went to dinner with Cindy and a couple other reps Thursday night and had a blast. It was great reliving the show while reading your report.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the Great Report. Love the photo's of the Matte Proof Lincoln cent exhibit.

Carl

Collector
  • Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Cool!

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I've had TSA Agents want to Crack open my slabs to look inside !
    Had to explain they were sonically sealed and would have to distRoy the holder.
    Had then to explain to him coin grading Slabbing processes and costs involved.
    Finally he said OK, WHEW!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report Charmy. Thanks.
    Most of the TSA folks are nice and friendly but there are those that are on a power trip. They need more training or they need to go. They should never handle others belongings in such a way. I would complain to everyone possible.

Larry

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

As always a great report with great pics!
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hoping the TSA jerk gets reamed out for such rude behavior.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2017 8:39AM

Thank you for your concern about my unfortunate TSA experience. As a follow up, I did file a complaint with the Senate Committee on Homeland Security, my local state rep, and TSA. So far, here is the response I received from TSA:

"Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

We regret the unprofessional treatment you experienced at our screening checkpoint. While transportation security is our top priority, we also seek to provide a high level of customer service to all who pass through our screening checkpoints. Our policies and procedures focus on ensuring that our Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) treat everyone with dignity, respect, and courtesy. If you encounter unprofessional behavior in the future, please request to speak with a Supervisory TSO immediately.

Since your complaint concerns a specific airport, we have forwarded a copy of your letter to the appropriate Customer Support Manager."

In case any of you have an issue with TSA, here is the contact information I used:

Sen. Ron Johnson, Chair
    Sen. Claire McCaskill, Ranking Member
    U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs
    340 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

online TSA Customer Service Complaint form:

https://tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

As I mentioned, I also sent it to my local district rep which, of course, will be different for you. What I discovered in trying to locate the appropriate representatives was that they DO NOT PUBLISH EMAIL ADDRESSES for many of our government reps. If you want to email them, you have to fill out their online contact forms and maybe someone will get back to you. It also took some digging to get actual physical addresses especially for state reps.

So other than TSA, I chose to snailmail my complaint letters to the government reps.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2017 9:21AM

Congresspeople and senators get a lot of spam emails so they have to be careful.

I would suggest sending them a real mail letter. It would get more attention.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Received another TSA update:

Ms. Harker - Good morning; I’m in receipt of your complaint regarding your screening encounter at Denver International Airport on August 5th. I am sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant experience and I apologize for any undue stress you experienced as a result of the incident. I appreciate that you took the time to share your concerns with us.

As per your write-up, you were frustrated with your encounters with Officer Regan. We train our officers to conduct themselves in a courteous, considerate and respectful way. I am sorry if you felt that you were treated in any other fashion. I’ve copied what you sent on the incident, which I will forward to the team of managers that oversee checkpoint operations for review and action.

If something like this should ever happen again, ask to speak with one of the Supervisors that we have posted on our checkpoints. By doing so would provide an opportunity for immediate course correction.

You now have my name and contact information on file. If there’s ever anything that I can do to help you with your travels through Denver, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely, Karen

Karen Sheppard
    TSA Customer Support/Stakeholder – Team Colorado
    Karen.Sheppard@tsa.dhs.gov
    Desk: (303) 342-6512

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dcarr now owes you >:)

The response on the 3rd sounds like a modified form letter

The one from the 4th sounds like a real response. I'm glad you spoke up and glad you received a real acknowledgment

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, again and sorry you went through that ordeal with the TSA. I guess I was an early guinea pig for their "suspicions" back in 2002, we got to stop any potential terrorists, didn't you know there is a war on?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you bother with TSA? With public airports? I would think that a charter flight would be in order. There are more than enough people from S. California that could mange this without any problems.....just a though really.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best report ever, Charmy. I wish I could've been there. Thanks for the show

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

On the TSA thing: Got through Denver security today in about 4 minutes. Got the TSA pre-check helped, but man, that's fast!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

about the tsa experience, you said:

"I eventually began to video tape her while Nina snapped some pictures, but then alpha dog went outside and got her superior who told me I was not allowed to video tape his agents. I said I just wanted to make sure nothing went missing because the coins were falling out of the trays. He told me "his agents don't steal!" I just shook my head. He forced me to delete the video right in front of him."

or what? you are allowed to video it. in fact, we are on video the entire time we are in the airport! we are on video pretty much everywhere in public now...so why can't you video something? crazy

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charmy,

Great report. People at the TSA work for us, the American people. I think they sometimes forget that. Abuses of power happen when good people would rather just tolerate it than make the effort to stand up and say something. Way to go.

If you think coins are bad, try international travel with firearms. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file