Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced "ERROR" Kennedy - Has anyone else found one?

RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2017 3:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just rec'd my order today for (5) more sets (bringing the total I've personally reviewed to 9 sets) and this Kennedy jumped out at me. There is a line that extends from Kennedy's ear out into the field nearly to the "Y" in his name. It is obvious to the naked eye. Under magnification, you can see slightly raised metal which is covered in the same satiny frost as the rest of the coin. I am not an expert on errors, but I presume this must be a scratch on the die that caused this? In any event, it looks cool. Of the nine total Kennedys from this issue I have studied, this is the only one that exhibits this. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else discovers other examples. My pics were shot with my iPhone, so they aren't the greatest. They do however, give you an idea of what I'm seeing. ( as an aside, the quality of these five sets was generally much better than the previous four I had received)

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 3:50PM

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Super poor word choice in title.

No offense intended to you or anyone else BillDugan1959. It is a reference to the only other coin I can think of with a line like this.... the Sacagawea "Wounded" Eagle reverse dollar. Obviously, since Kennedy was assassinated, it was an unintended reference in poor taste. I've edited the title. Thank you for pointing out my mistake which was made in haste.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like lost mint damage. Maybe they used it to prop up a chair

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Looks like lost mint damage. Maybe they used it to prop up a chair

LOL. Wouldn't surprise me considering how they run the operation over there.

Don't let my poor pics fool you. It's definitely not a scratch. It is RAISED metal that has the same finish as any other frosted feature on the coin. I can't imagine how that could occur "post" mint. I'm sorry I don't have a way to photograph it under 30X, but with my stereoscope you can very clearly see the ridge. I've sent pics to FredW to see what he thinks.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will all be checking now.

stay tuned.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a guess here. From the pixs, it looks like so many thin lamination cracks I have on various denominations in my collection.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning - I haven't opened my emails yet,
    but from what I see, it's one of two things:

Either a minor defective planchet, or possibly
    a very thin piece of metal that was struck onto
    the surface (since you said it's raised).

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Good morning - I haven't opened my emails yet,
    but from what I see, it's one of two things:

Either a minor defective planchet, or possibly
    a very thin piece of metal that was struck onto
    the surface (since you said it's raised).

Thanks for weighing in on it, Fred. Based on that info, it sounds like it's in the "no big deal" category. Would you say that's accurate?

• Options

I am hoping, when mine arrives, it doesn't have that... I expect perfection! (-:

T. Whitmeyer
    Front-end Developer, Collectors Universe

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either one would be a minor error type,
    but because it's an Enhanced coin out
    of the set, I'm sure there's someone out
    there who would pay a premium for it.

I don't think it's worth paying $40-$70
    to certify it, however.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Either one would be a minor error type,
    but because it's an Enhanced coin out
    of the set, I'm sure there's someone out
    there who would pay a premium for it.

I don't think it's worth paying $40-$70
    to certify it, however.

Thank you for your expertise Fred! I have zero knowledge or experience with this sort of thing. Very much appreciated.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

@RB1026 said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Super poor word choice in title.

It is a reference to the only other coin I can think of with a line like this.... the Sacagawea "Wounded" Eagle reverse dollar.

Board oldtimers will recall the "Pissing Minuteman" saga from years ago.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am satisfied that the OP made that reference unintentionally, and thus I removed my reply.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2017 11:36AM

I wasn't around here for that one kranky. I didn't arrive on the scene until 2006 but a quick search just now revealed the story. Hard to figure how these things land in the most odd places sometimes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting anomaly... Glad to see Fred's evaluation... Not something I would pay to own, however, some Kennedy collectors may want it. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file