Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is Goldins teasing? Let's hear some guesses.

2»

Comments

• Options

Ripken is most likely the first to reach 36M career earnings.

Here's a few others of note with regards to the 36M barrier that I looked up and when they reached it

Kirby Puckett 43,190,001 - passed in early 1997
    Orel Hershiser 37,582,001 - passed in 2001
    Roger Clemens 150,601,000 - passed in 1997
    Dwight Gooden 36,035,002 - passed in 2000
    Tony Gwynn 47,230,834 - passed in 1999
    Bret Saberhagen 47,688,230 - passed in 1999
    Barry Bonds 188,245,322 - passed in 1997
    Ken Griffey Jr 151,703,682 - passed in 1998
    Greg Maddux 153,845,000 - passed in 1997
    Rickey Henderson 44,525,000 - passed in 1997
    Jose Canseco 45,580,000 - passed in 1997
    Cal Ripken Jr 70,730,001 - passed in 1996

Did not reach 36M
    Daryl Strawberry
    Ryan Sandberg
    Wade Boggs
    Eric Davis

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

36 million seems like an incredibly optimistic estimate. If someone had posed the question on what it is worth with no estimates made I don't think I would have said even 2 million. This will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I wonder if Cooperstown or other big time museum will go after this item. IMO, I think something like this deserves to be in public view. If it goes to a private collector, that is fine, but this truly is one of the most pivotal baseball related items ever. i would hate for it to not see the light of day. If it is purchased by a private buyer, they could always parlay it into putting it on display somewhere like the HOF.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

@ugaskidawg said:
    I wonder if Cooperstown or other big time museum will go after this item. IMO, I think something like this deserves to be in public view. If it goes to a private collector, that is fine, but this truly is one of the most pivotal baseball related items ever. i would hate for it to not see the light of day. If it is purchased by a private buyer, they could always parlay it into putting it on display somewhere like the HOF.

They're obviously hoping that at least two museums or some large groups bid after this. But I don't see these kinds of places bidding super high just to obtain an item, not like personal collectors going after an iconic card.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I should win it and sell photo copies at $1 each to 36 million people

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG I wish it wasn't revealed because some of the guesses had me pissing my pants!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

https://goldinauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Opening bid is 18 million!

WOW

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odds on an opening bid being received?

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

So will there be back scans on auction items when the auction starts? What kind of knucklehead operation is this? I know I like to make my customers jump through as many hoops as possible when they're trying to give me their money. A lot of really high opening bids, like they're not confident they'll get a second customer. Amateur hour.

• Options

The auction listing for the contract is gone. I read a response that a Jersey was listed by mistake and perhaps this was too.

I just saw a segment this week on Squawk Box with the Christie's CEO and he referenced an ancient Asian bowl of some kind went for 37 million. That said anything is possible but in my view 18 million is just silly for a document.

I will take the under and say this doesn't sell at that price.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 8:35PM

I, too, don't think it will sell for $18M. I understand the significance, but it's only baseball. Are there other civil rights items from the 20th century that sold at auction (ie. "I have a Dream" original speech, etc...)? I wonder what their prices were.

Two Lincoln slavery abolishment documents sold for $4.5 M total last year. IMO, these may be more important and valuable than Jackie Robinson's contract.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.