Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

HK-248 DeYoung So Called Dollar

ThunderproofThunderproof Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2017 12:48PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I came across this So Called Dollar while going through a family friend's coins that they wanted me to look at. I know very little about So Called Dollars so I was wondering what information I could get from the experts out there. From what I can find this is an R6 rarity and one of the rarer Midwinter Exposition tokens. I would grade it AU / MS61.

1) Should I get this certified?
2) Is there any interest in it?
3) What would it be worth?

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was raw one that sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $139. Yours looks nicer. If you could get yours into a MS holder I could see it selling for $200-$300; in an AU holder $150 is probably more reasonable.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gentleman portrayed must have been very interesting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._H._de_Young

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That piece has the appearance of a cast medal.... probably not, but sure looks like it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, it is not cast. Note the PL sharp, fields near the center. The outside design is pebbly.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to speculate that it was the effect of time on notorious "white metal", but I really think it was just made that way and the granular/ pebbly outer ring underneath the inscription causes it to look the way it does. It's a neat piece.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

RickO, HK-248 was struck on white metal planchets and that metal tends to suffer from the hazing on PL fields and tinpest. this one shows only a little of the latter which manifest as black spots that can't be removed. that has been the downfall to many otherwise attractive medals. as for the outer ring which might have made you think it was cast, that's just texture/stippling which is relatively common and to my eye attractive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file