Home Metal Detecting
Options

Newbie Question: How is permission obtained...

...to search in public schools, libraries, or other popular state owned areas where people regularly frequent? Or do you seek permission at all? It would seem that once a ground's crew worker sees you digging, they might question your legitimacy. But honestly, I think it would be awkward to schedule a meeting with a school principal just to ask if I can metal detect on school grounds. Just curious on how you guys go detecting sites like these.

EAC, ANA Member

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

I don't ask permission at public places. Asking for permission at public places is potentially counterproductive. It might trigger some petty level bureaucrat to ban metal detecting, whereas before permission was asked, the issue wasn't even on the radar. The only time I'll seek permission at the public place is in a park district that requires a permit for detecting, and that is a small minority of park districts.

The grounds crew guys usually aren't going to give you any trouble. They'll either just leave you alone or encourage you to find something good. On the rare occasion that I have been asked to leave a school, where no law prohibited me from detecting, I politely left and then returned on the weekend. If you're apprehensive about detecting in public, I recommend that you go at off hours.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be sure to always fill your holes!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above...better to ask forgiveness than permission. Private property is different of course. Please be sure to fill the holes...that is the fastest way to get thrown off and a property made 'No Trespassing'... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Public property is okay without permission, provided of course that the grass and soil are left the way they were found.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't ask at schools and like Baryard1908 said go at off hours particularly Saturdays and Sundays. And like everyone else here has said Fill in The Holes. I would suggest that you not dig on athletic fields to start with. I use a screwdriver to avoid the "hole" situation to start with

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally ask for forgiveness not permission. Seems you can go more places. :-)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the responses. That is pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to confirm in case there were some horror stories when not following proper procedure.

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some cities require permits to detect. Check you local ordinances for sure.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

i needed a permit to dig where i live. i got mine now so now my friend wont botch up any more digs.