Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone seen this 1652 contemporary counterfeit before?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 9:35AM

IMHO, It is not contemporary. An image of the edge may hold a clue.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to have a raised rim, which I am not sure is accurate (I am no expert on these). What makes you think it is a contemporary counterfeit? It is in great condition and does not look like it was a coin that circulated much, It is far more likely to be a later copy than a contemporary counterfeit, so I am curious as to that determination.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think that is a contemporary counterfeit; it’s too well made. The contemporary counterfeit Pine Tree Shillings I’ve seen were really crude. It’s probably of a 1930s to 1960s vintage copy. There were a lot of them made during that period.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it is circa mid-20th century. I like it though!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may well be a copy but still gorgeous.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

No-way, no-how is that contemporary.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not contemporary ... as others have said. It just does not look like something from the colonies in the 1650s.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The next copy, counterfeit, imitation, etc. that you post, maybe start off with a question such as:

Roughly when was this counterfeit made, and is it contemporary or not. Assuming 'contemporary' when it is really 'modern' are two dramatically different concepts.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mean any offense, especially since I like some of the kinds of stuff that you are collecting, but it seems that whoever is selling you these "contemporary counterfeits" is selling you a bill of goods. They aren't the worst replicas I've seen, but they are not overly convincing.

Feel free to post them, though, as it is very educational for others, including me.

• Options

From what I have the contemporary counterfeits of the Massachusetts silver coinage have a higher collector value than the genuine pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the issuers of these in the mid-20th century known?

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I purchased 2 large collections in the past 4 years, I took all that was offered to me at a very fair price. I spent 10k on both collections and sold off most of it in 4 years on eBay. These are the oddities that I kept and had questions on. I've already made my money back and then some plus I kept all of the gem mint state coins. The collections I purchased were inherited and therefore the people I purchased them from knew nothing about numismatics and nothing was labeled or graded. I only know it's counterfeit bc I brought it to my local coin shop and they laser tested the metal content and told me it was not a genuine coin. I will now post a pic of the side of the coin.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the side pic will show a seam.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 11:53AM

IMO the coin is less than fifty years old. That is a big range so let's get into detail:

1. The OP's image looks like a casting; however, based on the edge it is not.
    2. Replicas made after 1972 are supposed to be marked. This is not and there is no evidence of any surface alterations to hide the marking.
    3. None of the contemporary fakes have a thick edge.
    4. The composition does not appear to be silver. If it is, that would make it a more desirable copy - at least to me, and I collect counterfeits.

Based on the above, I believe this piece was made in the last fifteen years in spite of the "Grandma Story about the old family collection it came out of."

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

guaranteed not contemporary

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

From those edges, those pieces are not from the 17th century; they are from the 20th century.

• Options

That's impossible that it is only 15 years old. This particular coin came from my fathers small collection of only a handful of coins. He was a coin dealer in his 20's and is now 70. So it's minimum of 50 years old. All other coins I'm posting are from the 2 big collections.

• Options

By the sounds of it, no one has seen this particular counterfeit before.

• Options

I HAVE NOT. :(

Nevertheless, if for some reason you cannot ask your father when he got the piece we'll never know for sure. As a student/collector of counterfeit coins, I'll say that counterfeits as this were NOT around in the 1970's or 1980's. If your coin contains silver, that is proof enough for me to stick to my opinion.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 2:13PM

@Watchbelieve said:
    By the sounds of it, no one has seen this particular counterfeit before.

There have been many copies made of the Pine Tree coinage. They date back to the 19th century.

Here is a Noe 16, Small Planchet Pine Tree Shilling, which may have inspired that copy.

• Options

My dad can't remember last week let alone 50 years ago lol. Knowing him.... he got duped and thought it was real.

• Options

The piece is still worth something. I'm too cheap but I suggest you try some colonial dealers with "black" collections. Could be worth a dinner for two w/wine.

I don't have my book here but it would be interesting to see if a genuine die exists with the tool mark at the base of the "T" that this piece was copied from. I doubt it as the style of the letters is horrible!

• Options

very informative, I'm guessing a black collection is counterfeits?

• Options

coin collecting pre internet must have been hell. Or heaven because no one could look up what they had before they sold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file