Home U.S. Coin Forum

Report from Dahlonega, GA

mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I traveled to Dahlonega with my brother and niece last week on Monday and Tuesday. We reached there late Monday afternoon just around 6pm and checked in at the Dahlonega Square Hotel and Villas. We had the whole villa for two nights a was very nice. We were just a few blocks from the town square so we checked the shops, most of which were closed, and the eateries, most of which were open, got some dinner and walked back to the villa to rest for the next day's outing.

The Old Court House in Dahlonega, now the Gold Museum

My brother, Keith, posing near an old stamp mill

Gold embedded in Quartz

On Tuesday morning we walked to town square to meet with JJ at the Gold Museum. By the time we investigated the museum he had arrived. We had a nice conversation and talked about the town and things to do. He brought a few of his coins with him, which were simply stunning. The photos he shows us on the boards here don't do them justice. He had some work to do and an appointment to meet so we thanked him and went about our way to investigate the many shops in the town square.

JJ said that we couldn't leave Dahlonega without panning for gold. He recommended the Crissom mine if we just wanted to do a few pans. I did a few pans and only ended up with a few flakes. Still, a good experience.

The gold I panned at the Crissom Mine.

It wasn't all that difficult, but I wouldn't give up your day job.

We went back to the town square an did some shopping many establishments there. I accidently ran into Al Adams of Gold Rush Gallery in one of the coin shops. We chatted briefly. I had purchased a North Georgia Collection 38-D from him back in 2000. He still remembered the transaction.

It was getting near dinner time so we decided to eat at the Smith House. It is one of the oldest establishments in town. It has a mine shaft that was uncovered when the place was renovated. It goes straight down 24 feet to tunnels below Dahlonega. They have family style meals and I can recommend them highly. After that the day was over. We went back to our villa and to bed for our next day venture to Helen, GA, but that's another story.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great time!!

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a pleasure meeting with you and your travel companions. Glad you all had a good time and were able to take some genuine Dahlonega gold home with you.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the super report!

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you were able to check out the Smith House! It's not for those who are on a diet!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "My brother, Keith, posing near an old stamp mill." Wow, and I thought having to lick the stamps was a chore!

;)

The placer diggings did not last long, so underground mining of quartz veins was the primary gold source in Georgia. Before the Civil War, plantation owners would get winter work for slaves by renting them to mining companies. Small-scale miners resented this intrusion to their enterprise, and during the war this area was nominally loyal to the Union.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Great report! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - thanks for sharing with us!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thanks for posting. I'm only an hour away, need to get there more often.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the report and photos, sounds like a good time. And thanks for the additional history,, RB

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and excellent pictures... Thanks... Cheers, RickO

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a lot of fun. thanks for posting.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad you had an interesting and good time :)

• HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

Well done MC. Dahlonega is on my bucket list, but I'll probably have to wait until my better half is on her own bucket list trip. Looks like a lot of numismatic fun.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file