Home U.S. Coin Forum

Could this really be a 1905 V LESS V Nickel grease filled die?

Comments

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely defaced post-strike than struck-through. Still interesting, though.

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, friend. Now instead of being worth five cents, it's worth no cents. It's noncentsical.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's pretty cool and wonder if someone intentionally tapped out the V in order to place a small inscription in the center of the wreath.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the V was intentionally removed....PMD, ... TomB's suggestion is certainly a good possibility. Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the intent was to engrave that area and the V was removed for that purpose.

I once had a 1909 VDB cent with 'ONE CENT' completely smoothed out. All that remained were the wheat ears and the VDB.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, PMD
    The marks on the coin and difference in toning in that area are strong indicators. I wonder what it weighs in comparison to another nickel with similar wear for the date.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file