edited July 30, 2017 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry. Moved to poll.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 6:08PM
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one prefer not to see potential buyers/collectors/newbies setting themselves up for a nice loss. If someone asks me what I think I'll give it to them straight. If the Emperor is wearing no clothes...no one should be afraid to attest to that.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    What do you think?

I see a coin on Ebay slabbed by a TPGS that I'm interested in. I link to the auction which is still open for several days and ask CU members if they think the coin is a good buy, do they see any problems, and is it graded correctly.

Is it in good conscience to reply with your opinion or does numismatic etiquette require that you say nothing until the auction is over?
    It appears that I have been raised by wolves as I seem to be on the wrong side of this question. :(

1. Yes, Ok to comment.
    2. No, keep quiet until the auction is ended.
    3. No opinion or who cares.

and 4. Snipe bid the coin for yourself.

Sorry, I don't know how to do a poll as it makes it easy to see the bar graph of results. If you do, please steal this and turn it into a poll and I'll dump mine. THANKS!

Since you post/posted a link and asked for comments/opinions about the coin, why would it be a breach of etiquette to provide comment? nothing worse than winning a coin at auction only to be told that you bought a pig in a poke. Some feel that it is a breach of etiquette to offer unsolicited opinions, esp. if those opinions are unfavorable.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please take the poll so I can see all the total Y & N.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted my opinion in the other thread..... Cut and paste here -
    This is certainly an issue that has sharply divided opinions. If someone were buying a car or a house and asked for an opinion, would you help? Should one be ashamed of one's expertise and hide it? "Sorry, cannot help you, after you throw away your money, I will be happy to tell you why you are a loser." Yes, advice on a forum could also mean that someone else would then out bid the questioner....a very real possibility. That being said, at least the individual gained knowledge from the advice. As far as the seller, once the item is up for sale, it is open to public review...good or bad. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file