Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It seems like some coins are just “never met to be.”

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2017 4:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do have a certain coin that you have never been about to find in a state of preservation that pleases you? Did the "right coin" come up for sale at a time when you were short of cash or had just compromised and bought one that was “not quite there?”

I’ve had one such piece, and I’m probably working on another. I’ve been looking for nice 1796 half dimes since the late 1970s, and things have never worked out on this issue. I always bought the wrong coin, didn’t pull the trigger when I should have (very rarely) or just was not in the right place at the right time.

There are three “Red Book” varieties of this coin, the “plain” one, the “LIKERTY” and the over date, 1796 over 5. I have come to the conclusion that the “LIKERTY” is not a real variety. All of the pieces without the overdate are 1796 “LIKERTY” half dimes. Still it’s a traditional hole in the set so I filled it.

I have all three of these coins, but each of them has issues, which them less than desirable.

1796 over 5, "The lowest grade example ever placed in a slab" at VG-07 There are probably about 40 of these known.

1796 "LIBERTY" - graded EF-45, but cleaned.

1796 "LIBEKTY" NGC AU-58, CAC, but slightly bent.

So have you had experience with a coin you just can’t get right? Let’s share some experiences.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 7:33PM

An 1875 3CN in PCGS AU58 has eluded me for years, when one popped up on eBay last year with a BIN / Best Offer, I gave an offer, but was sold to someone else who was obviously looking for the same thing and gave a higher bid or bought it outright. I guess I did not want it bad enough.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not rare I have looked for years for the right looking twenty cent piece.
    Has to have the right look with nice color, not super color, affordable price grade. And great strike.
    Maybe that's why I'm at 10 yrs and counting.

• Options

I have worked on a set of Twenty Cent Pieces off and on since I was in high school. Back in the 1960s all I could afford was the four coins that were issued for circulation. I wanted each of them to have a complete "LIBERTY," which is no small feat with those coins since that grading point is raised on the double dime, no incuse as it is on all of the other Liberty Seated type coins. I put that collection together although the 1876-P had some rim issues. Gradually I sold all of those coins, but have formed the set again over the years.

"Perfect" Uncirculated double dimes are really expensive these days. As expected the 1875-S is by far the most common issue and the one most type collectors include in their sets. I found the 1875-P surprisingly hard to find. The 1875-CC is the second the most common date and mint mark combination. The 1876-P is not a hard as its mintage indicates. It's probably rare in well circulated condition.

As for the two Proof only coins + the rare 1876-CC, those coins are a challenge. The 1877 is under pressure from some people with more money than brains who think they will be able to corner the market and make money from doing that. They are just going to lose a lot of money for themselves or their heirs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, your bottom 1796 is the "Likerty". "Libekty" is on the 1800.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2017 12:08AM

@BillJones said:
    There are three “Red Book” varieties of this coin, the “plain” one, the “LIBEKTY” and the over date, 1796 over 5. I have come to the conclusion that the “LIBEKTY” is not a real variety. All of the pieces without the overdate are 1796 “LIBEKTY” half dimes. Still it’s a traditional hole in the set so I filled it.

It's pretty crazy that the Red Book has this redundant variety!! (Or at least had it in 1995, my most recent copy).
    Fortunately PCGS and CoinFacts just have the 2 varieties.

1796 over 5, "The lowest grade example ever placed in a slab" at VG-07 There are probably about 40 of these known.

[above:] V-2, LM-2, LI far apart, 6/5 (not visible in lower grades), R-6

1796 "LIBERTY" - graded EF-45, but cleaned.

[above:] V-1, LM-1, LI close together at base, R-3

1796 "LIBEKTY" NGC AU-58, CAC, but slightly bent.

[above:] V-1, LM-1, LI close together at base, R-3

Neither Valentine nor Logan-McCloskey describe LIKERTY.
    Logan-McCloskey describe:

• LM-1 Broken B is very thin at top and bottom. (Named LIKERTY in PCGS / CoinFacts).
    • LM-2 B defective. (Named 6/5 in PCGS / CoinFacts).

In high grade LM-1 specimens such as yours, the B is thin but connected.
    It's only in lower grade coins (around F-15 and below) that the thin top and bottom of the B are worn smooth and it appears to be LIKERTY.

• Options

You can see the overdate on my 1796/5 half dime in VG with a 10X glass. It is not a very spectacular overdate in any case, not even on a high grade piece. Adding to the confusion, the "normal date" has a double punched "6" with is visible on high grade pieces, once more with a strong glass.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2017 4:37PM

@BillJones said (in a 1795 thread):
    [Paraphrasing from the thread: apparently this was dipped in the past?]
    ..... NGC put this 1796 half dime in a body bag.

i was expecting to get a VF-30 out of this. Instead I got nothing.

Was this another candidate for an acceptable grade 1796 LM-1?
    It has gotten enough wear to look something like "LIKEKTY".

As we've discussed in other threads, half dimes are easily damaged (or abused),
    and when the photo gets blown up to screen size,
    the damage looks a lot bigger than on other denominations....
    It looks like a nice coin to me, although I don't personally participate in this higher end market.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@BillJones said (in a 1795 thread):
    ..... NGC put this 1796 half dime in a body bag.

i was expecting to get a VF-30 out of this. Instead I got nothing.

Was this another candidate for an acceptable grade 1796 LM-1?
    As we've discussed in other threads, half dimes are easily damaged (or abused),
    and when the photo gets blown up to screen size,
    the damage looks a lot bigger than on other denominations....

Yes, I have been through a number of them, including one with a CAC endorsement that I returned. I have pictures of them. The 1796 half dime has been a bad luck coin for me for over 35 years. And, no I will never buy another LM-1 ever. I might consider the overdate, but I doubt that I will ever have the opportunity to buy one that I can afford.

I have very fortunate with all of the other early half dime dates. I am very happy to satisfied with all of the pieces in my set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file