Home Sports Talk
Options

Why do so many fans hate Lebron James??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it that he is painted as the villain in the whole Kyrie Irving saga??

Al H

Comments

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 5:55AM

;) maybe better suited for the Sports Talk forum.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What coin is he on?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what this all means... I follow no sports outside of boxing... I do know the name, only because it has hit the news over the past few years, and he was often mentioned at lunch conversations in the factory. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will hate him too when a year from now he bolts again :#

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have no idea what this all means... I follow no sports outside of boxing... I do know the name, only because it has hit the news over the past few years, and he was often mentioned at lunch conversations in the factory. Cheers, RickO

Boxing? Is that still a thing with the total takeover of UFC?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris .... Yes, it is... and the Mayweather/McGregor fight coming in August will be a huge draw. True, UFC has certainly grown in popularity, but the boxing ranks are still healthy. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why all the hate for Lebron.
    If you look at him in the light of most athletes, he's pretty phenominal. Has mad skills and never seems to get into trouble.

While I'm a GS Warriors fan and always dislike seeing how well he can do on the court against pretty much any adversary, he is one of the best players ever. As for the K. Irving thing, I've not been following it, so I have no opinion.

Oh, BTW, this is the coin forum, why is this thread here?

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he’s an immature baby. It’s not hard to see past his “I take the higher ground” charade.

Look at it from Kyrie’s perspective, signs a deal to be the face of the franchise then Lebron comes home and now you’re always gonna be second fiddle. With no more championships ahead of them, I’d leave too.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't hate him at all. That shot block against Golden State last year was epic.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 8:36AM

I dont hate but understand why many dislike him.

He is bulldozing style of play is not artistic nor endearing. It's ready hard to watch him for 48 minutes when compared to a Bird, Magic or
    Jordan.

This from an outside site.

"Is three rings in eight tries impressive?" LeBron James Haters United posted this morning. "Knowing the help he got from the league, refs and the commissioner, the teammates and number 1 overall draft picks he traded, the superstar caliber players he needed, the coaches he fired, the players he got suspended, the stacked roster he wanted, the players he hand-picked and the team he dumped to be with a better team? You decide."

IMO and certainly has displayed both narcissistic and megalomaniac tendencies and many will never forgive him for his Miami presser stunt. Many find him disingenuous. Many just don't like super stars. Michael Jordan had many distractors. Others are jealous and just don't like him as they are homers

There are plenty of reasons

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most knowledgeable basketball players don't hate LeBron. He still is the best player in the NBA, even though his career is on the downside. LeBron worked his arse off coming out of high school to make himself great. He had no outside shot and couldn't create his own shot when he entered the NBA. Compare him to Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin who have done little to improve their game.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my apologies for this being in the wrong forum, I posted it as I was headed out the door and just now returned. can it be moved to the appropriate place??? should it be deleted or should I just leave it alone??

again, I'm sorry if my mistake has aggrieved anyone.

Al H.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Maybe because he doesn't collect coins?

Or he gets all of the good ones?

• Options

I think it brought some change and appears to wake some folks up. I'll bet it does not die for awhile. I tend to only focus on politics and coins anymore. I've heard of the guy but that's all I know.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not only his basketball skills that's notable. He does a LOT of good in the community here as well.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    It's not only his basketball skills that's notable. He does a LOT of good in the community here as well.

Isn't Koynewest also the name of a basket ball player married to one of those reality show women?

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 10:04AM

why would anyone even care, would not give a professional athlete or actor a second of my time, wish more would follow. Now the doctor the save my grandchild's life now that's a hero!!

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

Remember, LeBron went into the NBA straight out of high school, so he did not get the chance to "grow up" during college like a lot of others have. Yes, his "Miami press stunt" was extremely selfish and hurtful, and he was vilified in Cleveland for years, but it's not like he committing lots of technical fouls, or flagrant fouls, and I don't recall him ever kicking/punching other players in the groin -- as "other" players have.

He does do a lot for the community, and has created his own charitable foundation to help youths and provide educational assistance. He's just 32 years old, so still maturing, and with his Billion-dollar contract with Nike, he will be able to a lot more "good" outside of the court in his future years.

From Guidestar.org:

"MISSION STATEMENT
    THE LEBRON JAMES FAMILY FOUNDATION'S MISSION IS TO POSITIVELY AFFECT THE LIVES OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS THROUGH EDUCATION AND CO-CURRICULAR INITIATIVES. THE FOUNDATION BELIEVES THAT AN EDUCATION AND LIVING AN ACTIVE, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ARE PIVOTAL TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS."

During the 2014 year (most recently published), the foundation spent $1.5 million for the programs that execute the mission, and not one dime was paid to anyone employed by the foundation. All of the monies coming in go toward helping others, so much so, that at end of the 2014 year, the foundation just had a quarter million of assets. So...each year, they spend 6 times as much as they keep!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't imagine why he's important.

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 10:44AM

@cardinal said:

@koynekwest said:

Remember, LeBron went into the NBA straight out of high school, so he did not get the chance to "grow up" during college like a lot of others have. Yes, his "Miami press stunt" was extremely selfish and hurtful, and he was vilified in Cleveland for years, but it's not like he committing lots of technical fouls, or flagrant fouls, and I don't recall him ever kicking/punching other players in the groin -- as "other" players have.

He does do a lot for the community, and has created his own charitable foundation to help youths and provide educational assistance. He's just 32 years old, so still maturing, and with his Billion-dollar contract with Nike, he will be able to a lot more "good" outside of the court in his future years.

From Guidestar.org:

"MISSION STATEMENT
    THE LEBRON JAMES FAMILY FOUNDATION'S MISSION IS TO POSITIVELY AFFECT THE LIVES OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS THROUGH EDUCATION AND CO-CURRICULAR INITIATIVES. THE FOUNDATION BELIEVES THAT AN EDUCATION AND LIVING AN ACTIVE, HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ARE PIVOTAL TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS."

During the 2014 year (most recently published), the foundation spent $1.5 million for the programs that execute the mission, and not one dime was paid to anyone employed by the foundation. All of the monies coming in go toward helping others, so much so, that at end of the 2014 year, the foundation just had a quarter million of assets. So...each year, they spend 6 times as much as they keep!

as he should you and I would do the same

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that Lebron collects huge stacks of hundred dollar bills.

Karl Malone, the 14 time all-star and NBA hall of fame player was at the 1986 ANA National Money Show when it was held in Salt Lake City and Karl was playing for the Utah Jazz. I don't believe he purchased any coins but he did buy a couple of pieces of U.S. currency for several thousand dollars each.

Karl was probably influenced by his agent, the well known collector and dealer, Dwight Manley (who the ANA library is named after).

I don't know if he still has the notes or not but I have never heard of him being around the coin hobby after that show.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I dont hate but understand why many dislike him.

He is bulldozing style of play is not artistic nor endearing. It's ready hard to watch him for 48 minutes when compared to a Bird, Magic or
    Jordan.

This from an outside site.

IMO and certainly has displayed both narcissistic and megalomaniac tendencies and many will never forgive him for his Miami presser stunt. Many find him disingenuous. Many just don't like super stars. Michael Jordan had many distractors. Others are jealous and just don't like him as they are homers

There are plenty of reasons

mark

Him lowering his shoulder and bowling people over...then having the refs send him to the line after he flails his arms and cries like a baby is what ruined the NBA for me. Haven't watched it for years and don't miss it.

• Options

@keets said:
    my apologies for this being in the wrong forum, I posted it as I was headed out the door and just now returned. can it be moved to the appropriate place??? should it be deleted or should I just leave it alone??

again, I'm sorry if my mistake has aggrieved anyone.

Al H.

Leave it where it is. It would have taken 6 weeks to get this many responses on the moribund sports forum.

• Options

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Over paid as are all professional athletes that are paid millions to play a meaningless game. They are arrogant and feel they are above the law. Without the fans money they are meaningless.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

wrong forum .. understandable .. most Pro sports now contain over paid players . coaches, owners ,advertisers ... who play the real fools... the viewers of sports

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who?

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what this has to do with numismatics, but I'll respond none the less.

I've always liked Lebron although I don't follow pro sports nearly as much as I do college. I remember seeing him interviewed after a game when he was still playing high school basketball. I was very impressed at how he kept deflecting questions about him and wanted instead to talk about how well some of his teammates had played. He was CLEARLY the story of the game and yet he was very humble. I was immediately impressed.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

@oldgoldlover said:
    Over paid as are all professional athletes that are paid millions to play a meaningless game. They are arrogant and feel they are above the law. Without the fans money they are meaningless.

While that is true:

Just as there are a very small number of professional numismatists at the top of the tree, so it is with professional athletes. Think about the tiny percentage who reach the top. They get paid what they get paid because they entertain and they are the best at what they do. Although our personal dentist, and many teachers, service men, etc who actually can have an effect on our lives deserve it, they don't make $, Sorry folks, life ain't fair! LOL.

• Options

@bestday said:
    wrong forum .. understandable .. most Pro sports now contain over paid players . coaches, owners ,advertisers ... who play the real fools... the viewers of sports

Real fools are those that pay for cable TV and have no interest in professional sports as they are carrying the bag for the $40,000,000 salaries.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me feel a bit better that I only pay for internet access. Next you'll tell me that somebody rakes it in on that too.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care one bit about these overpaid athletes. Especially, Lebron James. Good for you bud you can shoot baskets.
    Yes, what coin is he on?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could have asked this in your "why?" thread.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC, Dwight Manley purchased the Eliasberg 1913 "V" nickel on behalf of "The Mailman".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Maybe because he doesn't collect coins?

Not true. He does indeed collect some coins. Mostly via the internet.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's not an NBA team within 250 miles of where I live, so I guess that's why I never followed it.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because some people have a natural dislike for persons who are the best at what they do. Jealously, envy, etc. come into play.

Further LBJ brings some of the dislike on himself because of various things, including the televised "Decision" when he announced he was going to Miami and his lack of humility (he is the bset player on the game and has been for years; and he knows it; and he does not hesitate to tell others he is the best).

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 8:49AM

Who is labron james?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

In life nobody boos nobodies. The level of visceral rises with the worthyness of the subject and he is the king. The specifics of why are merely justifications

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

Not one,not two not three, need i say anymore

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

Professional athletes are most assuredly not overpaid. In fact, many superstar athletes are underpaid. The amount of money they generate for their bosses far far exceeds their salaries. It is simple economics. There are very very few people on earth who can do what LeBron does or who can throw a baseball 97 mph with accuracy and movement. For those very rare skill sets they are well paid, but certainly not above market value.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.