Home Precious Metals

World gold flows and demand - from SGE, GLD, Swiss refiners, Central Banks

roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 29, 2017 7:00PM in Precious Metals

Interesting that while GLD inventory has been declining recently, gold has been rallying. Chinese-Indian demand over the past 9 years has totaled 22,000 tonnes of gold. That's where most of the gold from the west has been flowing. No one has the heart to tell them it's just a barbarous relic. On average, 0.04% of Comex gold contracts stand for delivery. On the Shanghai Gold Exchange 45% of contracts settle for delivery (155 tonnes in June). Comex only has 22 tonnes registered for potential delivery. Clearly, that's a paper-trading exchange while the SGE can actually be analyzed for true physical spot pricing supply/demand.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/gold-market-charts/gold-market-charts-july-2017/

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

IS the price of gold different on the SGE than on Comex?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't this mostly paper exchanges? Does physical gold actually move in these major contracts? I know 'people' buy physical gold, however, when discussing contracts of 'tonnes' isn't it just a paper transfer? Cheers, RickO

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Isn't this mostly paper exchanges? Does physical gold actually move in these major contracts? I know 'people' buy physical gold, however, when discussing contracts of 'tonnes' isn't it just a paper transfer? Cheers, RickO

The 155 tonnes was the total of the contracts in June if I read that right. When countries like Russia, China, India etc. are mentioned they are likely taking in physical metal.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 5:56PM

@ricko said:

The Shanghai Gold Exchange is moving significant real gold on delivery....at about a 45% clip to the contracts made. Compare that to the Comex (0.04%) and LBMA which are indeed paper exchanges to "manage" the price of gold. That was the whole purpose of forming the SGE several years back.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

roadrunner's new avatar will take some getting use to. How long did you use your old one?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where there are exchanges, there are contracts for delivery. The market is alive and well . Nothin just sits there.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 8:05PM

Not all contracts for delivery result in delivery. RR's percentages show the CRIMEX and LBMA are in business to control the price, not the sale, of the real stuff. This low percentage should be all the proof that one needs that price is controlled.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

@cohodk said:

????

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sky Brothers will come for the gold, good thing They ( those who hold it for the S Bs) keep such good track of where it is and how much of it they have. Of course, the Sky Brothers bred Them to do this, so it's not really as if They have a choice about the matter.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

The funnest thing of all? We who instinctively hoard gold actually believe it's our free will to do so! We actually think we are deciding to be smart, and feel superior to those with a smaller dose of this genetic drive to mine, process, and store this metal. Isn't that amusing? Oh, those sky brothers, well, at least they are kind to us and have a keen sense of humor.

I can't wait to meet the sky sistas!!!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all about the nickel and dime.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2017 9:25AM

@VanHalen said:
    roadrunner's new avatar will take some getting use to. How long did you use your old one?

15 yrs on the old one. Just changed it last week....from seated half drawing to an actual seated quarter I once owned. It's taking some time for me as well. I didn't think there would be that much difference....and there is.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I note that throughout history, invading armies almost never go for the vaults full of paper fiat and electronic account balances, but somehow the gold always seems to be taken.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@cohodk said:

Why can't someone answer this?

@jmski52 said:
    I note that throughout history, invading armies almost never go for the vaults full of paper fiat and electronic account balances, but somehow the gold always seems to be taken.

That sounds like yet another reason not to have all of one's money in the form of gold.