did someone at PCGS sneeze on the coin?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardboard holder with holes in the cellophane.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin is in a problem free PCGS MS65 holder.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Clarkbar04

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be like clarkbar04 stated or it could be minor residual from a dip. Sometimes, the dip residual can be brought out whenever the slab is in the sun (swapmeets). Probably developed after the coin was holdered.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be surprised if these grow with time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    It could be like clarkbar04 stated or it could be minor residual from a dip. Sometimes, the dip residual can be brought out whenever the slab is in the sun (swapmeets). Probably developed after the coin was holdered.

Disagree, Dip residue does not turn into raised silver-black corrosion. The coin can be conserved but IMO, few know how to do this particular job without a 50/50 chance of leaving a trace as the surface under the spots has been etched.

IMO, your best bet is to ask PCGS if they will fix it. I'll bet they cannot but you will either get it back straight graded with tiny gray spots or they may help you out in some agreeable way. Otherwise, sell it and pass the problem on to another collector. MS-65 dollars are dirt cheap at the moment.

If you go the conservation route, please post the results. Good Luck!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 8:20PM

WHAT IF...... It was cracked out and put back in an album? Would it eventually turn into nice toning after a few years?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

NO. As one member said, they will probably get worse quicker with exposure to the air.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those spots are definitely composed of an active contaminant and will continue to progress... albeit slowly in a slab.....If 'conserved', there will be surface blemishes remaining. I strongly doubt they can be removed without leaving evidence. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 7:41AM

It's a dog , a cull with dark spots - a no go - just start it on bay at $9.95 get rid of it. At this point holder meaningless - wonder why u have not gotten rid of it. Possibly they bid it up to at least melt. Just take your loss / tuition and move on.

I suspect it went bad in holder after grading this happens. Conserve or get rid of it. Somewhere it was contaminated / exposed to something could have even happened before submittal.

If part of group of coins making offer just put down zero for it in your calculations in arriving at lump sum offer.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what it is.

• Options

The spots should be removed before selling it. As I wrote, PCGS may help you out as this looks bad - even if it happened after the coin was graded.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

ajaan . . . . . . I hope that is an "S" mint !!!!!!!!

Drunner

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 1:11PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    It's a dog , a cull with dark spots - a no go - just start it on bay at $9.95 get rid of it. At this point holder meaningless - wonder why u have not gotten rid of it. Possibly they bid it up to at least melt. Just take your loss / tuition and move on.

I suspect it went bad in holder after grading this happens. Conserve or get rid of it. Somewhere it was contaminated / exposed to something could have even happened before submittal.

If part of group of coins making offer just put down zero for it in your calculations in arriving at lump sum offer.

Melt value? ($13.) I'll buy some PCGS MS65 Morgans with spots for 5x melt. Have any for sale?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    The spots should be removed before selling it. As I wrote, PCGS may help you out as this looks bad - even if it happened after the coin was graded.

I'll send PCGS an email Monday.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MANOFCOINS said:

@ajaan said:
    Coin is in a problem free PCGS MS65 holder.

At least the holder is problem free!

That's what matters in today's market. ;)

• Options

@ajaan said:

@Insider2 said:

I'll send PCGS an email Monday.

...with an image but NOT THE CLOSE-UP or they may not want to touch it. Good choice and Good Luck.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    Cardboard holder with holes in the cellophane.

+1 If I remember to dig mine out next trip to the bank I'll post a pic of a 1883-CC (I think) still in the Mylar 2X2.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@DRUNNER said:
    ajaan . . . . . . I hope that is an "S" mint !!!!!!!!

Drunner

O mint

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file