Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone ever seen this exact Le Locle Apollo 11 proof coin ?

I have 10 of these Swiss made Le Locle Apollo 11 coins. I have seen many like it but not one was exactly like mine. Has anyone ever seen this coin before and could you give me an idea of its value. I remember finding some info describing a coin like mine that said there were 2000 minted in 1969 but there were no pictures and it wasn't any kind of official website regarding coins.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I have seen other moon landing tokens, I have not seen that particular one before. Usually, at a large coin show, several types can be found. Is it silver or another alloy? I have no idea of value...much will depend on metal, scarcity and condition. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

It has 0.900 to the right of the flag. I figured it was coin silver but is it possible it could be platinum. Btw... I was counting on the value coming from its rarity as I literally can't fi nd info on this coin. Can anybody find anything on this one?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone collect Apollo 11 medals anymore? It is all a matter of supply and demand and I don't know if there is much demand today.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The small 'HF' under the small annotation of Fineness must stand for 'Huguenin Freres' (Huguenin Brothers).

http://www.huguenin.ch/en/about-us/history

See my comment on the darkside forum.

If you're hoping for 'moon money' on this one, I'm thinking you will be disappointed.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 10:50PM

@291fifth said:
    Does anyone collect Apollo 11 medals anymore? It is all a matter of supply and demand and I don't know if there is much demand today.

The ones I see with the most demand are the Robbins medals but I haven't tracked them lately.

For the more common medals, I think a reference would help.

I also like the more common MFA medals awarded to NASA employees, especially the ones that come with letters/certificates to named employees.

• Options

Well interest will spike in 2019 as it's the 50th anniversary

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current value;
    silver melt.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Where do you get that appraisal from?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    Current value;
    silver melt.

That's generous.

Few collectors would pay much more than that, so a dealer would have to offer several dollars less.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is their size and weight?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file