Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For those who collect a specific player...

I mainly collect Kirby Puckett and got back into it this year. However, I am not finding myself interested in collecting all the "parallel" inserts if that's what they are called. I just can't justify buying every card with a different color border, different stripe, reflecting surface, no bat, different jersey, grey/red/green frame etc.. and find it all way too "gimmicky". If there's one or two I think look really neat, and the price is reasonable(few bucks at most), I might pick it up. But otherwise, I have gotten away from the "gotta have everything" mentality I used to have in the 90's. Same with autograph cards. There's just no way to justify the expense of trying to have even a dozen of them. I'm holding out for two when they become available at the right price(of course in my case, I collect a deceased player who was also very popular, making it that much difficult/expensive).

Anyone else who collects a specific player find themselves "tired" of all the parallel inserts/variants and just stick with the main card and maybe a few variations?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I collect Yaz and aside from the the Venezuela/OPC/Topps versions of a card, he retired before the years of mass parallels and variations. One reason I decided to go after a vintage player.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I collect a number of vintage player runs (Bob Lilly, Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Cornell Green, Cliff Harris, Lee Roy Jordan, etc.). I don't collect any players runs of modern cards, however, if I did, I would collect the basic Topps set. I've started the Emitt Smith and Troy Aikman ones in the past and then decided not to continue and sold them off.

That said, I would have zero interest personally in collecting hundreds and hundreds of different cards of the same player. I can see how that would get tiring.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

As a Frank Thomas collector I feel your pain; the man easily has 100-150 new releases a year, most of which are limited to less than 50 copies. As such, I typically choose one or two new products a year to chase, and only pick up the rest as an occasional single when the price is exceptional. Unlicensed products fall really far off my radar.

To remain focused, I prioritize by concentrating on playing era cards and memorabilia, which tiers of importance within that 19 year spectrum. My foci include rookie/minor league cards and memorabilia, samples and promotionals, all cards from 1998-2001, 1990s inserts, serialized cards with the number 35/, stadium giveaways, and advertisement items. Anything that fails to fall within one of those subcategories is typically a non-priority and will be scaled accordingly in my budget.

I'm a completionist, meaning, I want it all, but I'm not going to waste money on repetition unless it adds real value to my collection.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

God, I feel the same way. My favorite modern player is Tyler Naquin, who is in the minors now yet there is still so much of his stuff. It would be monetarily impossible to complete his entire Card existence.

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I collect Byron Scott and parallels normally don't bother me because he doesn't have a ton...auto parallels bug me more.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I focus on 1960s football cards in autographed form. They can be and challenging, but not impossible and ridiculously expensive. By only sticking to stuff made during their playing days, I don't have to worry about all of the modern issues.

Here is my Lance Alworth collection. To my knowledge, it has one of each of the cards he was pictured on during his playing career.

LANCE ALWORTH

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, as a Nolan Ryan collector I fought with myself over 10 years ago with the same dilemma and I decided to stop collecting anything Ryan after the year 2000 unless it is something that really appeals to me. So far I've managed to stay true to that.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go with on your Kirby Puckett collection.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet collection of Lance. Very nice!!!!

@AFLfan said:
    I focus on 1960s football cards in autographed form. They can be and challenging, but not impossible and ridiculously expensive. By only sticking to stuff made during their playing days, I don't have to worry about all of the modern issues.

Here is my Lance Alworth collection. To my knowledge, it has one of each of the cards he was pictured on during his playing career.

LANCE ALWORTH

• Options
    ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

I understand what you are saying, this is why I stick to Basic Topps Player sets, there easy (somewhat). I actually collect the Kirby Puckett Basic Topps Set, just need his rookie , Kirby was a great player, I actually was keeping track of his hits since his career began, he was going par for par with Charlie Hustle.